Kolsch yeast fermenting temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottle-o-jeff

Reaction score
So I'm brewing an American Wheat with Kolsch yeast. I'm brewing two batches on the same yeast package, and I have limited fridge space. Primary fermentation is complete on the first batch.

Is it a problem to rack to secondary and keep in the basement (at ~70) for the secondary? My guess would be no since there isn't much fermentation going on any more, but I'm looking for advice from others who have used this yeast. Up until this point, I have used ale yeasts exclusively.

I can make room in the fridge if I need to, but that means I'll be yanking two kegs and a CO2 tank. I'd rather just keep one fermenter in there if that's possible.

Thanks in advance.

I primary fermented my Kolsch by rotating ice bottles for about 4 days to keep it at around 62-64 after that I just let it ride because I, like you, figured the bulk of fermentation was over and it would be fine. The beer is awesome, I think you'll be fine doing it that way.

I just made a kolsch!From what I have read they ferment at low ale temps.then are stored at lager temps.I didn't do the second part and it tastes great!Never had one before so i couldn't tell you if it's to style,but it's a damn good beer.:D

Both Kolsches I've made I only controlled the temperature for the first week. I racked them to secondary after two weeks and they sat there for 3 weeks at about 70-75 degrees. Once kegged I threm them in the keezer and let them sit for another month. Came out crystal clear and delicious.

Back