Moving Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenryals

Reaction score
Planted my rhizomes a few weeks back.. & they're starting to come up..

however, bad planning means i have to move them to another spot..

any suggestions?

Should I wait until they get a bit taller and more healthy? (only a couple inches so far)

(if they grow as expected, they'll shield my garden from the sun, and kill all of our food... so.. dont want to do that)

suggestions?

Hmmm I moved some plants last weekend, but they were a year old. I just dug them up, put them in the new hole with compost and covered them back up, then God watered them for 3 days striaght...

I think I'd wait till they got a little taller and tougher. The sprouts break off pretty easy when they are young, but if you wait they will be able to withstand the move. On the other hand it is early enough that it could put out more sprouts.

Since it is a rhizomes I'd say wait for it to replenish some of it's nutrients by taking in some sun energy and develop some roots, when it starts to get tall enough to interfere with your garden them move them.

right on.. thanks.. i figure i'll just wait till mid season and give it a go..

Yep! It actually did work out pretty well, I guess He's cool with this beer thing ;)

I feel ya, man! I planted mine about 3 weeks ago and the only time I've watered was immediately after they were planted. It seems like as soon as they dry out there is rain that night. This weekend they will probably dry out for the first time in a week. With the 80 degree weather all weekend I will probably need to water them for the second time in a month!

I would actually recommend moving them now, before it gets too hot. It will be less stress on the plant to move it now and let it get established while it's still cool.

The general rule of thumb for moving plants is to do it in the spring or fall. Ideally, they should be transplanted before they break ground or after they start to go dormant, but if you have to move them I would do it now.

well.. martin luther as a beer brewer and it's well documented.. he had some mad equipment on a big scale.. (hope you know who that is... seriously!)

Well.. I'm going to go to my local nursery (plants, no kids) and ask them what they think..
i'll post results

Good idea on asking a local nursery. I just grow for fun, hops are a weed so I think you'll be find either way.

Didn't know Marin Luther was a brewer, I'll make sure to tell my Lutheran neighbors about that next time they ask about my brewing setup :)

I did a similar "moved there, then decided here, then split them"-sort of mess.
It's very apparent that they didn't care much for it, but if you keep them watered they should survive. And note that this is just an investment in the years to come since they probably (maybe?) will not flower this year. I'm comparing the ones I moved to the others I've left and the established plants are WAY ahead of the curve.

You should just focus on their survival this year, IMO.

Good idea on asking a local nursery. I just grow for fun, hops are a weed so I think you'll be find either way.

Technically, a weed is a plant that is growing somewhere that it's not wanted, so the hops in this case aren't really a "weed". Unless he doesn't want them anymore, in which case I'm sure plenty of people on this board will take them!

Hops are a very tough plant though and are likely to survive a transplant almost any time during the growing season (as long as you don't chop off too many roots and keep it well watered). If you want to ensure the health of the plant though, it's best to transplant during the spring or fall.

Back