Noob meets yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnrulyGentleman

Reaction score
Working on my second batch ever, and realized a couple of errors that I was wondering if they can/should be corrected. Working on an Imperial Stout, OG was 1.091 and used White Labs California Ale. Now, the things I messed up:

1. Chilled wort quickly, but poured into primary and then topped off with cool water as opposed to pouring it into water already in primary.
2. Pitched the liquid yeast without a starter ( honestly, didn't know much about starters till I found this forum).
3. Probably did a poor job aerating, just mild rocking and the movement of walking it to it's new home in the bathtub.

It's now day 3 and the airlock is showing plenty of life ( 1 bubble per second) and there is quite the sweetish smell in the air. Guessing the smell is from the airlock not having enough vodka in it at first or the lid not being perfectly on. Anyway, while I am a huge fan of RDWHAHB, just wondering if there is something that needs to be done to prevent a stuck fermentation since the lack of aeration/starter happened. Any thoughts or should I shut up and go grab that home brew now? Thanks!

Working on my second batch ever, and realized a couple of errors that I was wondering if they can/should be corrected. Working on an Imperial Stout, OG was 1.091 and used White Labs California Ale. Now, the things I messed up:

1. Chilled wort quickly, but poured into primary and then topped off with cool water as opposed to pouring it into water already in primary.
2. Pitched the liquid yeast without a starter ( honestly, didn't know much about starters till I found this forum).
3. Probably did a poor job aerating, just mild rocking and the movement of walking it to it's new home in the bathtub.

It's now day 3 and the airlock is showing plenty of life ( 1 bubble per second) and there is quite the sweetish smell in the air. Guessing the smell is from the airlock not having enough vodka in it at first or the lid not being perfectly on. Anyway, while I am a huge fan of RDWAHAHB, just wondering if there is something that needs to be done to prevent a stuck fermentation since the lack of aeration/starter happened. Any thoughts or should I shut up and go grab that home brew now? Thanks!

Don't see an issue. What do you think went wrong? There are lots of people that do all of that so relax. The main thing is that you were extra clean and followed the recipe. BTW that sounds like a pretty sick brew at 1.091 og ;)

I am fairly new to brewing also. (6 batches) I don't think you made any critical errors. I always top of my primary with water, that way you can get your full 5 gal out of a batch. Some liquid yeasts are designed to be be pitched without a starter, I generally just go by the manufacturers instructions on the yeast. Pouring the wort and the water will aerate it, might not quite be to 8ppm, but I think that is all I did on my last batch of beer and it turned out fine, Although that was a light ale.
You will get some smell out of the airlock, if it is bubbling you should not have any air leaks on the cover.
All in all I think the finished product should be drinkable

Cheers!

I am fairly new to brewing also. (6 batches) I don't think you made any critical errors. I always top of my primary with water, that way you can get your full 5 gal out of a batch. Some liquid yeasts are designed to be be pitched without a starter, I generally just go by the manufacturers instructions on the yeast. Pouring the wort and the water will aerate it, might not quite be to 8ppm, but I think that is all I did on my last batch of beer and it turned out fine, Although that was a light ale.
You will get some smell out of the airlock, if it is bubbling you should not have any air leaks on the cover.
All in all I think the finished product should be drinkable

Cheers!

^^^winner! Nice first post and welcome!

Wow, speedy responses. Thanks all, I wasn't terribly worried since things appear to be moving. Was mainly concerned about the lack of a starter as even White Labs recommends using one for anything with an OG over 1.060. so wasn't sure if the yeast would be able to do all it needs to. Guess if it's fermenting as is, I'll trust it can finish the job while I excitedly plan the next batch.

Noob alert!!! Im doing coopers kits. finished an australian lager and il be honest it was piss. then did an irish stout with LME and it was lovely. doing another irish stout and have a few questions.
its a lager yeast no?? what is the correct BREWING temp. had terrible 22 c to 27 celcius last time but now i have an aquarium heater. read that thread. twice. so whats the exact brew temp and if i want to use a different yeast to whats in the can will any lager yeast do? what should i look for. noob when it comes to yeast temps.
also i accuired a ****load of sterile water from work. is it any good for brewing or should i only use for rinsing.
thanks for help guys

Welcome. Your questions are great but you need to create a thread. Go for it.:mug:

Wow, speedy responses. Thanks all, I wasn't terribly worried since things appear to be moving. Was mainly concerned about the lack of a starter as even White Labs recommends using one for anything with an OG over 1.060. so wasn't sure if the yeast would be able to do all it needs to. Guess if it's fermenting as is, I'll trust it can finish the job while I excitedly plan the next batch.

A starter, especially for a higher gravity beer is best. Without it the beer will ferment and usually be good. Pitching too little will stress the yeast and produce some off flavors. How bad it will be is dependent on a lot of things. Usually the flavor might be no more than off style.

I recommend getting the equipment and making starters for all but the lowest gravity beers. For just a couple of dollars a starter gives a better chance of making a better beer.

Back