Brewtarget 1.2.3 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking to get one of these fancy touch screen internet tablets for my commute. The ones I am looking at use android 3 as the OS. I still have an ancient, non-internet capable phone and know nothing about how android works. I was wondering if I would be able to install brewtarget on an android device?

I am looking to get one of these fancy touch screen internet tablets for my commute. The ones I am looking at use android 3 as the OS. I still have an ancient, non-internet capable phone and know nothing about how android works. I was wondering if I would be able to install brewtarget on an android device?

Nope. Wondering if you've heard of Brewzor though? It's an Android app that can import recipes from Brewtarget.

I submitted a bug on the sourceforge project, but was wondering if anyone else encountered this bizarre behavior.

Every time I try to launch the clock/calendar in Windows, it launches BrewTarget! :)

Anyone else??

I submitted a bug on the sourceforge project, but was wondering if anyone else encountered this bizarre behavior.

Every time I try to launch the clock/calendar in Windows, it launches BrewTarget! :)

Anyone else??

This is a strange one indeed. Would you mind checking out the 1.2.4 beta to see if it still has the same behavior?

Anyone else??
Obviously it is telling you it is time to brew. It's known as a "FEATURE". :rockin:

LOL. I did a little more looking into it. It definitely isn't just limited to the clock. It seems like it hoses all file associations. I restored my machine prior to the install and software launched fine. I deleted 1.2.2 and reinstalled 1.2.3. I then copied my recipes.xml file. Launched the app, worked fine.

After that point, when I try to launch ANY application, Brewtarget launches.

I rebooted, and it spawned ~20 instances on bootup of Brewtarget.

I'll try the Beta.

LOL. I did a little more looking into it. It definitely isn't just limited to the clock. It seems like it hoses all file associations. I restored my machine prior to the install and software launched fine. I deleted 1.2.2 and reinstalled 1.2.3. I then copied my recipes.xml file. Launched the app, worked fine.

After that point, when I try to launch ANY application, Brewtarget launches.

I rebooted, and it spawned ~20 instances on bootup of Brewtarget.

I'll try the Beta.

We don't do any file associations or edit the registry or anything like that, so I'd say this sounds like some weird Windows issue on your machine to me...I know it at least doesn't happen on mine or my friends' machines. Funny about the bootup though :)

We don't do any file associations or edit the registry or anything like that, so I'd say this sounds like some weird Windows issue on your machine to me...I know it at least doesn't happen on mine or my friends' machines. Funny about the bootup though :)
Adopting old AOL tactics? ;)

Yeah, that's what I can't figure out. I restore to Saturday and all's good. I 2x click Chrome and Chrome launches... not Brewtarget. I'll mess with it some more when I have time, but 1.2.2 works fine for me now. Ran AV and Malwarebytes and neither came up with anything. I thought it was some kind of virus but the only seeming common denominator is 1.2.3 so far.

How much trouble is it to add a double batch feature? Might it be a simple math function to add to the program?

I consistently do about 16 gallon total mash/sparge water batches.

I boil with three $8 Stainless steel pots.

I see I can specify my own equipment.

Tx

Windows Installation
Unzip to wherever. Right click "brewtarget.exe" and then "Send to desktop" or any other method to make a shortcut on your desktop. If you want to quickly move your old recipes to this new version of brewtarget, navigate to the old brewtarget folder, and copy the old recipes.xml file to the new brewtarget folder.!

I can't get this to install. When I right click on "brewtarget.exe" I have the option to send it to desktop. I don't even know how to use winRAR, errrrrr

I have a a couple of questions regarding the setup for Partial Mash brewers.

I do mini-mashes in a 3-gal steel pot. I added this information as my mash tun (3 gallon capacity / 0.120 specific heat, the mass of the pot)

I always do full boils, so I set my Final top off water to be 0-gallons in the "Equipment Editor" window.

What about the "Kettle top-up water" field? Won't this value vary based on how much grain I mash?

Right now, I left the "Kettle top-up water" field equal to 0.

In a test recipe, if I mini-mash 4.5lbs of grain at 1.25gt/lb, the program correctly calculates the volume of infusion water (1.406 gallons), but then says I should sparge with 4.929 gallons to get to my 5.75gal pre-boil volume.

However, I never sparge with that much water - usually I sparge with 2 to 2.5 gallons 170F water, then top up my kettle manually with water to 5.75 gallons.

So...I guess I am confused about if the OG calculations, for example, will be correct?

Does this makes sense? Basically, the program is telling me to sparge with alot more water than I usually do.

I will say that with the current setup ("Kettle top-up water" field=0gallons) the OG and FG seem to be dead-on with what I actually got with the recipe I am testing the program with.

I have a a couple of questions regarding the setup for Partial Mash brewers.

I do mini-mashes in a 3-gal steel pot. I added this information as my mash tun (3 gallon capacity / 0.120 specific heat, the mass of the pot)

I always do full boils, so I set my Final top off water to be 0-gallons in the "Equipment Editor" window.

What about the "Kettle top-up water" field? Won't this value vary based on how much grain I mash?

In a test recipe, if I mini-mash 4.5lbs of grain at 1.25gt/lb, the program correctly calculates the volume of infusion water (1.406 gallons), but then says I should sparge with 4.929 gallons to get to my 5.75gal pre-boil volume.

However, I never sparge with that much water - usually I sparge with 2 to 2.5 gallons 170F water, then top up my kettle manually with water to 5.75 gallons.

So...I guess I am confused about if the OG calculations, for example, will be correct?

Does this makes sense? Basically, the program is telling me to sparge with alot more water than I usually do.

I will say that with the current setup ("Kettle top-up water" field=0gallons) the OG and FG seem to be dead-on with what I actually got with the recipe I am testing the program with.

You've got me really confused here. It sounds like you top up but you told the program you don't and you don't understand why it doesn't tell you to top up.

You've got me really confused here. It sounds like you top up but you told the program you don't and you don't understand why it doesn't tell you to top up.

Well, I do top up, but that volume varies based on the size of the mini-mash - sometimes it might be 2.5 gallons - sometimes 1.5gallons.

I did try to give the program an average volume of 2 gallons in the top-off water field, but the estimated pre- and post-boil volumes were off, and thus so was the OG measurements.

I guess more broadly, how should one fill out the "Boiling and Water" and the "Mash Tun" portions of the "Equipment Editor" based on my situation: a small 3-gallon "mash tun", and the fact that one will top-off by default each time, but with a varying amount of water each time (based on the recipe)??

It doesn't care if all the sparge water goes through the grain or you add it to the kettle...it's basically six one half-dozen the other as long as you are hitting the efficiency you specified. If brewtarget tells you to sparge with X gallons of water, it means "get X gallons somehow into the boil." The kettle top-up is really more useful with extract batches.

It doesn't care if all the sparge water goes through the grain or you add it to the kettle...it's basically six one half-dozen the other as long as you are hitting the efficiency you specified. If brewtarget tells you to sparge with X gallons of water, it means "get X gallons somehow into the boil." The kettle top-up is really more useful with extract batches.

That makes sense....it'd be nice, like three versions from now, to accommodate partial mash brewers such that the sparge volume is calculated based on mash mass and not pre-boil volume ( maybe when mash tun volume <<< than batch volume)...I wouldn't want people to think they actually need to sparge with 4 gallons when mini-mashing and end up extracting a ton of tannins in the process.

First off. The program is awesome. Been using it since the last version and its great.

Im working on a 2 BBL system to be used for my Father, 2 brother in-laws, and myself and i have read that you get a better utilization when upscaling hop additions to large batches. Is a larger batch size taken into account into the formula when upscaling? Or at that size is it not large enough to be a concern.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Rock Chalk

Chris

Hey what's my problem? I'm trying to download this and when I doubleclick on brewtarget.exe in the zip file I get this error (see link). I have downloaded it from the sourceforge website 3 times and unzipped it with 7zip and each time there's an error.

http://i.imgur.com/MkFvO.jpg

Hey what's my problem? I'm trying to download this and when I doubleclick on brewtarget.exe in the zip file I get this error (see link). I have downloaded it from the sourceforge website 3 times and unzipped it with 7zip and each time there's an error.

http://i.imgur.com/MkFvO.jpg

This may be a case of having a few different versions of Qt laying around. Make sure you only have one, and that one needs to be Qt 4.6 or later.

If that doesn't turn out to be the case, let me know and I will dig deeper.

Mik

Hey, just saw http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3204545&group_id=249733&atid=1126493. Noob question...how do I know what the actual status of this? Far as I can tell it's got a priority and an assignment. Is it being worked on? What is priority #5? Just curious if this is going to be added in a future release as I'd love to see it :)

Yes, it will be in a future release. I just can't make any promises about which one. We may have a rough skeleton in place by v1.2.5 (or whatever follows v1.2.4), but we are planning some large changes in that version and we may just not be able to get to this request. I am definitely hoping the release after that will include a basic inventory system.

Mik

This may be a case of having a few different versions of Qt laying around. Make sure you only have one, and that one needs to be Qt 4.6 or later.

If that doesn't turn out to be the case, let me know and I will dig deeper.

Mik

What is Qt? Quick time? If not I have never heard of it so I'd be surprised if I have other versions. Has anyone tried to install the most recent version lately?

thanks, I'm clueless when it comes to any software.

I went to Add/Remove programs and the only thing that had Qt was Quick Time.

All I did was download the zip file, and double click on the brewtarget folder in 7-Zip, then double click on brewtarget.exe. Every time I delete that folder from my downloads folder, then try it again and the exact same thing happens.

All I did was download the zip file, and double click on the brewtarget folder in 7-Zip, then double click on brewtarget.exe. Every time I delete that folder from my downloads folder, then try it again and the exact same thing happens.

Qt is not Quick Time. It's a software development framework. My understanding of it is you need it for Linux, you don't need it for Windows, and Macs? Well if you spent 2 grand for a Dell, you'd have a pretty nice Windows computer too.

You need to extract everything in the zip file to a folder on your computer. Then it will run.

Right click on the zip file
Extract to
Pick a folder where you want it to go (like program files/brewtarget)
Now run brewtarget.exe

Qt is not Quick Time. It's a software development framework. My understanding of it is you need it for Linux, you don't need it for Windows, and Macs? Well if you spent 2 grand for a Dell, you'd have a pretty nice Windows computer too.

You need to extract everything in the zip file to a folder on your computer. Then it will run.

Right click on the zip file
Extract to
Pick a folder where you want it to go (like program files/brewtarget)
Now run brewtarget.exe

hahaha wow. I'm surprised I'm allowed on the internet. Thanks.

Anyone else having trouble after upgrading their Mac to Lion? When I attempt to restore my database Brewtarget shuts down unexpectedly and it provides a problem report. After starting Brewtarget back up the database restore was not successful.

I'm far from a comfortable computer person.. just an average user. I tried to download the file.. done. Tried to open the file.. couldn't. Then re-read your post. Downloaded Qt per the link.. but then I got a message saying I needed something like C+. All for the Mac iOS6+

All for the Mac iOS6+

This requires more explanation.

iOS 6 has not yet been released (that I am aware). iOS is for the iPhone and iPad (both Apple devices but NOT Apple Mac devices) on which I do not believe BrewTarget will run.

My bad.. been reading too many threads.. I have an Mac with OSX 10.6.8

No worries. My first guess it that you need to install XCode. That is the Mac Developer Environment and contains some of the the libraries required to execute BrewTarget (including C, C++ and C#). XCode can be found on your OSX installation discs.

Just installed Brewtarget on Linux (Mint 11) that is running on my MacBook Pro - Easy to install and works fine. Look forward to giving it a spin for my next brew and on brew day with the timers.

Ok, NOOB brew software questions.

First off, what is brewing software for? I'm looking for something that will tell me what to do when I give it ingredients. Having never done an all grain brew, and wanting to do BIAB since I do not have a mashtun, I don't know what to do next. I've added my ingredents, I want to do all grain, but I have no clue where to even start with entering information into the Mash tab.

I have no clue about my pot's efficiency, I do not know how much water / amount of grain I need...etc. How am I supposed to come up with this?

First off, what is brewing software for? I'm looking for something that will tell me what to do when I give it ingredients. Having never done an all grain brew, and wanting to do BIAB since I do not have a mashtun, I don't know what to do next. I've added my ingredents, I want to do all grain, but I have no clue where to even start with entering information into the Mash tab.

I have no clue about my pot's efficiency, I do not know how much water / amount of grain I need...etc. How am I supposed to come up with this?

Have you gone through the tutorial in About->Manual?

I saw that you were going to make grain absorption visible, but I couldn't find it. It does appear that it is in the calculations. If this field was adjustable, that would be awesome.
One issue I am having with larger batches (35-60 gallons) is that it seems to take a long time to recalculate when I change the water or grain. Is this expected?

I saw that you were going to make grain absorption visible, but I couldn't find it. It does appear that it is in the calculations. If this field was adjustable, that would be awesome.

It's in the Equipment editor.

One issue I am having with larger batches (35-60 gallons) is that it seems to take a long time to recalculate when I change the water or grain. Is this expected?

Nope. Could be a bug. Would you PM me, because I'd like to get that particular recipe from you to see if I can reproduce it.

You've got to break it down. It's really easy but if you look at the whole thing it can seem complicated. Go through the tutorial and then take it one step at a time. I think I would start with 60 percent efficiency for a first attempt at BIAB. Try to work through the software on your own. If you fight through it, you will have a better understanding of the software.

Have you gone through the tutorial in About->Manual?

wow ok this is helpful, I was trying to go through everything just from the youtube-ish tutorial on the brewtarget site.

So with my equipment, I'm doing BIAB mashing in a 7.5 G pot, then sparging in a 15 G pot, and ultimately boiling in that bigger pot as well. Do I have it setup correctly?

equipment screenshot

EDIT: Second question...I am having trouble understanding the steps in the mash process. I want to mash at 152, and so it calculated the temp and amount of water, but if you look at this screenshot it's got me sparging at 192 in the brewday schedule, and that seems high and I'm not sure how that popped in there.

I think I am somehow screwing up entering info for the mash. All I want is mashing at 152 for an hour and to be told what to do :) I realize I also don't understand anything but a single mash (that protein rest thing) but I'm guessing that's for another forum :)

brewday screenshot with open mash editor

Question (3) Is my total mash volume calculated anywhere to allow me to determine if my 7.5G pot will even do the job for mashing?

So with my equipment, I'm doing BIAB mashing in a 7.5 G pot, then sparging in a 15 G pot, and ultimately boiling in that bigger pot as well. Do I have it setup correctly?

If you mean that you heat your sparge water up in the 15 gal pot and then move your bag from the 7.5 gal pot to the 15 gal, then I'd say yes.

EDIT: Second question...I am having trouble understanding the steps in the mash process. I want to mash at 152, and so it calculated the temp and amount of water, but if you look at this screenshot it's got me sparging at 192 in the brewday schedule, and that seems high and I'm not sure how that popped in there.

This seems about right...it wants you to heat the sparge water (3 gallons of it) to 192. When you put your bag of grains in that sparge water, it should end up at about 165.

Question (3) Is my total mash volume calculated anywhere to allow me to determine if my 7.5G pot will even do the job for mashing?

Not with the mash wizard. If you want to use the (slightly) more complicated designer, then it will tell you more info. The wizard is just meant to be click and done.

This seems about right...it wants you to heat the sparge water (3 gallons of it) to 192. When you put your bag of grains in that sparge water, it should end up at about 165.
Not with the mash wizard. If you want to use the (slightly) more complicated designer, then it will tell you more info. The wizard is just meant to be click and done.

1 Ok so are you saying 165 is what I want to sparge at? I guess my question is on all grain recipes I never see mash out or sparge temps specified, is it just assumed with all grain brewing that you mashout (raise temp to 165 or so at the end of the mash) and that your sparge water temp is always just below 170?

2 So you are saying with designer, that I CAN get the overall mass?

3 The mash step still confuses me. Once I enter all my ingredients for a recipe, and have my equipment set, if I want to mash at 152, with a single batch sparge (essentially) exactly what steps do I take? I guess I'm unclear about the difference and heirarchy between "creating a mash" using the drop down menu at the bottom or if I am adding a mash step. Also editing a mash step vs. editing a mash doesn't seem to make sense to me. I guess I have to create a mash, then create a first mash step (mash at 152) and then hit mash wiz or mash designer? confused nate is confused.

4 With brew in a bag, my mashtun temp is actually in the 160 F range, but when I make this change in the equipments tab it seems to mess things up. Should I just stick with 70 F?

1 Ok so are you saying 165 is what I want to sparge at? I guess my question is on all grain recipes I never see mash out or sparge temps specified, is it just assumed with all grain brewing that you mashout (raise temp to 165 or so at the end of the mash) and that your sparge water temp is always just below 170?

I think few do mashout anymore, and yes, sparge temp is always 165-170F.

2 So you are saying with designer, that I CAN get the overall mass?

Specifically "tun fullness".

3 The mash step still confuses me. Once I enter all my ingredients for a recipe, and have my equipment set, if I want to mash at 152, with a single batch sparge (essentially) exactly what steps do I take? I guess I'm unclear about the difference and heirarchy between "creating a mash" using the drop down menu at the bottom or if I am adding a mash step. Also editing a mash step vs. editing a mash doesn't seem to make sense to me. I guess I have to create a mash, then create a first mash step (mash at 152) and then hit mash wiz or mash designer? confused nate is confused.

I think after you do your first AG, things will click. A "mash" consists of many "mash steps" where the grains and water sit at a particular temp for a particular time. For each mash step (desired temperature), you need to calculate the specific amount of water and strike temperature to get you to your target in that step...this is the purpose of the wizard and the designer.

4 With brew in a bag, my mashtun temp is actually in the 160 F range, but when I make this change in the equipments tab it seems to mess things up. Should I just stick with 70 F?

In what way does it seem to mess up?

Back