Bottle Carbing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RukusDM

Reaction score
I tried to search for this kind of info but I cant seem to get the advanced search to work. I want to search for several words, but not sure how without the advanced search.

My question is, My cider/wine is now down to a SG of 1.0 and has slowed way down. I want to bottle into 12oz beer bottles and bottle carbonate, but I want it clear. Right now it is very cloudy. I used UV pasturized cider, and it was perfectly clear when I bought it. I did not boil or heat it prior to puting into a carboy. I would like to use a fining agent to clear it.

Can you bottle carbonate after using a fining agent like geletin, and then add priming sugar? Is there enough yeast to carb it after fining?

I know if it carbonates, I have to pasturize after testing for carb. I just haven't found any posts that discuss how to bottle carb with a clear cider.

A couple of ideas and thoughts. First, adding pectic enzyme before fermentation will help your cider be clear not hazy. Also, in my experience, the cider does clear in the bottle. There could be two things going on - things suspended in the cider and haze. Time in the bottle and chilling it will help clear the cider. Haze, I'm not sure what do other than using pectic enzyme before fermentation.

Final thought - you don't necessarily have to pasteurize after bottle conditioning/carbonating. If you have let the cider ferment until its done, so that it is very dry, then add priming sugar and bottle condition, you don't need to pasteurize. If, on the other hand, you bottle before fermentation is complete, with or without priming sugar, then you need to pasteurize to stop the fermentation in the bottles before they explode.

I'm sorry i can't answer your questions about adding gelatin.

I'd just wait, your cider should clear all by itself. Odds are the haze you're seeing is just yeast still in suspension. If you're in a hurry, you could cold crash it in the fridge for a few days before racking. You could also use fining agents, but since I don't use fining agents I can't help you on those. IMHO your best bet is time. If you prime with the correct amount of sugar there is no need to pastuerize. Regards, GF.

Thanks for the replys. I've read many posts from both of you and apreciate the advice.

Can the brew sit in a glass carboy for a few weeks to age and clear before bottling and carbing? I know if you are making still it won't matter, I just wondering if I leave it too long all the yeast will fall out and have nothing to bottle carb with.

Leaving it a few weeks is fine. Where you might have problems with yeast is if you leave it for months.

Thanks. I also found your post on "Cider House Rules". Very informative for me as I want to bottle carb clear sparkling cider. Lots of great info in this forum. I just wish the advanced search would work for me. I get a page with no search options when I try :(

Back