Bottle Bomb!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaintAnky

Reaction score
This weekend I experienced my first (and hopefully only) bottle bomb. I'm still trying to get my head around it, and I'm not sure what went wrong.

Overcarbonation? I don't think so. Fermentation was complete, and verified with hydrometer readings. I used a reasonable amount of priming sugar, 5oz for 5 gallons. I stirred the beer into the priming solution in the bottling bucket (though I've skipped this step in previous batches and never had a bomb). The bottles I've sampled so far have been evenly carbed, and they don't seem overcarbed at all after about 5 weeks in the bottle.

Infection? I've heard that this can cause bottle bombs. As I said before, I've sampled a few bottles out of this batch (OK, about a dozen) and they were really, really tasty. Maybe the best I've ever made. :rockin: The batch is not infected.

So unless I'm missing something, it's down to this: either there's some kind of infection in the one bottle that exploded, or maybe there was something wrong with the bottle itself -- maybe a crack that broke under pressure?

Any ideas what else might have gone wrong?

Infection? I've heard that this can cause bottle bombs. As I said before, I've sampled a few bottles out of this batch (OK, about a dozen) and they were really, really tasty. Maybe the best I've ever made. :rockin: The batch is not infected.

Sorry to hear about the bottle bomb, I hope the damage/mess wasn't too extensive.

The batch may not be infected, but single bottles can pick something up in the bottling process.

I think you have already found your answer....either crud left behind in the bottle or it was damaged. It seems as if you covered all of the other bases.

I thought infection was more of a "gusher" situation - i.e. they don't really explode the bottle, but when you do open them, everything gushes out quickly - am I wrong?

The other thing I'm thinking is that it's gotten wicked hot in my basement (80 degrees! In New England!) and that the heat may have aroused some otherwise-dormant yeast. US-05, BTW. I don't know if this is actually possible; just a guess. Unfortunately I don't have a cooler place to store it at the moment. I need a walk-in fridge!

I thought infection was more of a "gusher" situation - i.e. they don't really explode the bottle, but when you do open them, everything gushes out quickly - am I wrong?

That's what I've heard too, but the HBT wiki says it can happen, and wikis are never wrong.

My money would be on a fault in the glass, if that's the only one that blows up.

I had a single bottle bomb also a while ago. The remainder are perfect. I attribute it to a faulty bottle. I drop them sometimes and they don't break. Could be one had a weakness.

Back