English Porter Black Pearl Porter (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently took 2nd place in a local competition and scored a 37 with this beer, so that's neat.

Good to hear! I just bottled a batch of this and the sample tasted really good. Can't wait for it to carb up!!

I've never brewed a porter before but this looks interesting. Is the addition of maltodextrine and lactose common in porters or unique to this recipe?

Sorry if this was already asked and answered somewhere in the thread.

No, lactose is not common in porters. The malto dextrin helps add some body. I brewed the original recipe this time. Depending on how it turns out I may drop the lactose next time. My FG was 1.027.

No, lactose is not common in porters. The malto dextrin helps add some body. I brewed the original recipe this time. Depending on how it turns out I may drop the lactose next time. My FG was 1.027.

Thanks. I understood the result both ingredients would give but was curious if it was common. Adding lactose seems like it would make beer somewhat like a milk stout, or milk stout lite since this only has 4 oz. Very interested to try this recipe. Making a batch with and without the lactose is a fun idea.

I have some Kölsch yeast (Wyeast 2565) left over from a big starter. I wonder how that would work instead of the London Ale.

I've never brewed a porter before but this looks interesting. Is the addition of maltodextrine and lactose common in porters or unique to this recipe?

I've never used either one in my porters or stouts (not counting milk stouts), but since I've been trying to clone Pig's Ass Porter from Belt, MT for a few years, I might try some malto-dextrine in the next batch. I came mighty close the last time I tried, but it's one of those ballpark things - just not quite there (for my taste buds). I don't have the best taster in the world, so it may have been a lot closer than I thought, but I'm still trying!

My score sheets are attached if anybody is interested.

Overall remarks:
"Felt like this beer is pretty true to style. The carbonation was a tad high, and the alcohol bite isn't true to style. Seems clean and balanced."

"A very good English Porter. Very drinkable and enjoyable. A little roasty and slightly astringent - lower the dark malt bill slightly. Head was too big and mousy(hard to read)"

Overall, I personally enjoyed this recipe. I would agree that it's quite roasty, and might tone down the chocolate malt just a tad next time. I personally don't get much of an alcohol bite, but we all taste things differently. Friends really liked it, but that's what friends do.

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.020 (I included the malto-dextrine in the boil)

Thanks again BM. I can always trust your recipes won't suck LOL

Attachments

• 1324.pdf
    285.4 KB · Views: 58
I submitted this one to the National Homebrew Comp and scored a 35 and a 38 and took 3rd place in the Denver 1st round. Once again, shout out to BM for a good one.

Made this again and kegged it back at the end of November. Truly coming into its own.

Made it as before with an extra half pound of chocolate malt along with 3 tbsp pure vanilla extract, and a half pint of MakersMark at kegging.

BM anyone who has drank this this iteration seems to fall in love with it. Thanks again. Been a few years since the last batch but great recipe.

Attachments

• 20220114_154320.jpg
    20220114_154320.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 11
Just brewed this 4 weeks ago and it's easily my favorite beer I've ever brewed. 100% chance I'll make this again. Love that I stumbled upon this post from 2007 and decided to give it a shot. Thanks for the great recipe!

I brewed this one in 2020 when we had lock down and pubs closed. Hands down a winner! So balanced.... so good. It is on my brew list again. I have made 37 kegs so far since late March. This recipe is worthy of two kegs for sure. A real keeper that should be in a "tried and true" brew category!

I am now ready to keg this recipe again. Number 50 in the keg department so far this year! Killer recipe. I like the Makers Mark idea but don't want to play with such a great beer!
!

Back