Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled this friday night and put one in the fridge this morning just because I don't have patience. This is at after 3 days in the bottle. It's actually very delicious, even flat!

4 days in glass.jpg

Came out great. It's a little on the malty/sweet side, but that's what I expected. I planned on having this for St. Paddy's day, but I don't think that will happen. Luckily I have an Irish stout waiting to be kegged.

View attachment 1424756597636.jpg

Finally found the time. In primary last night bad ass bubbling this morning, used a good size starter of Wyeast 1084. Cooled to 65° f and place in a room with 62° temp of primary this morning 67°.

Looks maybe a little dark, I know it will settle out. OG 1.054
The receipe I used is on post 771.

Than you very much Mysticmead,
sfish

Made this just over 2 weeks ago. My OG was 1.056, a little lower than expected and as of today I am reading 1.019...a little higher than expected. I used crystal 150 instead of cararoma and carapils instead of carafoam and I used BRY 97 yeast. Kept my fermenter at 68* the whole 16 days. Should have been enough. Why did I not get low enough? I'm ok with a lower ABV but am afraid its going to be super sweet. Thoughts?

Made this just over 2 weeks ago. My OG was 1.056, a little lower than expected and as of today I am reading 1.019...a little higher than expected. I used crystal 150 instead of cararoma and carapils instead of carafoam and I used BRY 97 yeast. Kept my fermenter at 68* the whole 16 days. Should have been enough. Why did I not get low enough? I'm ok with a lower ABV but am afraid its going to be super sweet. Thoughts?

Did you pitch enough yeast and oxygenate it somehow?

Followed my normal procedures. Pouring the wort back and forth between kettle and bucket several times and through a strainer. Pitched the entire packet of yeast, like I always do. The only thing I can think is that it was having a hard time with the honey. Never used it before and have read that it can be difficult for yeast to consume?

Man even though it fermented to 1.000 due to low mash temp this is delicious! It hasn't even been bottled a whole week yet and I am already 6 down lol. Brb...

7 down.

Try raising the temp. to see if you get some activity

My fourth time making this fantastic brew! I decided this time to add roasted barley and changed the hop times. And I also used 001 ale yeast for the first time. Right know I'm not enjoying the changes I had made :(

Great recipe! No changes, except I forgot the honey at flameout - I remembered just before pitching the yeast. Fermented two weeks in the primary and aged two weeks in the keg before it was ready (Feb. 27). It could have used an extra week, because the taste has clearly improved each day since.

FG a little high (1.013) and because of the late honey addition the honey flavour is probably a bit more pronounced then intended but it's still excellent.

Thanks again for the recipe.

Great recipe! No changes, except I forgot the honey at flameout - I remembered just before pitching the yeast. Fermented two weeks in the primary and aged two weeks in the keg before it was ready (Feb. 27). It could have used an extra week, because the taste has clearly improved each day since.

FG a little high (1.013) and because of the late honey addition the honey flavour is probably a bit more pronounced then intended but it's still excellent.

Thanks again for the recipe.

I racked my wort onto the honey in the carboy, and it was in primary 2 weeks and then bottled. Tasted great at bottling, but a lil young.. Should be great by St Patty's Day!!

I'm putting my raging red to a big test over the next few days, just brought one bottle each to a few coworkers....hope its a confidence builder not breaker

if they don't like it... get new co-workers cause those are broken

Ha ha...my worries were in my brewing rituals not your recipe lol

One coworker said he liked it better than any commercial Irish red. The other one works the opposite shift so ill have to wait it out.

I brewed this today. OG was 1058. It looked absolutely beautiful in the hydrometer jar. I'll probably pitch the starter in the morning after temp gets down to 65. Can't wait to try this one.

4 lb 2 row
8 oz Caraaroma
4 oz Carafoam
4 oz Melanoiden Malt
.5 oz Crystal [4.10 %] (60 min)
.5 oz Cascade [6.50 %] (30 min)
8 oz lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

I'm down to just about 10 bottles of my last batch. I'll be sad to see it gone. I'll have to brew again soon.

Giving this a try. Modified by using US golding for bittering, no honey, 8.5 of 2 row instead of 8, and .5 honey malt. I'm hoping it turns out nice. Also using wyeast irish ale yeast.

Brewing this soon. I have 1oz of Galaxy left. What do you think about using Galaxy at flameout or Dry Hop?

I brewed this today. OG was 1058. It looked absolutely beautiful in the hydrometer jar. I'll probably pitch the starter in the morning after temp gets down to 65. Can't wait to try this one.

4 lb 2 row
8 oz Caraaroma
4 oz Carafoam
4 oz Melanoiden Malt
.5 oz Crystal [4.10 %] (60 min)
.5 oz Cascade [6.50 %] (30 min)
8 oz lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

I kegged this one today. Finished @ 1.007, so 6.69% ABV. Sample tasted very good. My CO2 tank is low and I don't have room in the fridge, so I am carbonating this one with corn sugar. Will tap it in two to three weeks. It should be great!

This is my first attempt with an Irish red recipe. I brewed a partial mash version yesterday, with Maris Otter instead of 2-row

3.5 lb Maris Otter base malt
1 lb Caraaroma
0.5 lb Carafoam
0.5 lb Melanoiden Malt
3lb Maris Otter liquid extract
1 oz Crystal Pellet hops
1 oz Cascade pellet hops
1 lb honey at flameout

Unfortunately the hydrometer did not survive landing on the concrete shop floor, so don't know the actual OG, but was calced around 1.055

Also decided to ferment as a lager with WY2308, it's at 50F and has about 1/2" kreusen.

Thanks Mysticmead

Back