Aging temperature control. How important is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilGnome6

Reaction score
How important is it to maintain temperatures during the 1-2 years of aging a lambic or sour ale? I keep my house between 68F and 78F throughout the year but I would say most of the year it is in the mid 70s. I live in Arizona and keeping the house much cooler is not an option.

I could set up a dedicated fermentation fridge but that seems like a big investment to tie up for just one batch a year.

I usually have the same temps as you listed, but during the summer it can get to about 85F during the day while Im gone

I dont really worry about temp, and my sours turn out fine, now I dont start any during the hottest months, so to avoid a majority of the fermentation occuring during that time though

you an ASH member?

I usually have the same temps as you listed, but during the summer it can get to about 85F during the day while Im gone

I dont really worry about temp, and my sours turn out fine, now I dont start any during the hottest months, so to avoid a majority of the fermentation occuring during that time though

That's a good idea on starting them during the cooler months. I may have just missed that window, though. :(

Hmmm... Maybe I can keep them temperature controlled for the first 3 months or so and then let them finish at ambient temps for the rest of the year. That would let me churn out about 4 sours per year with one fridge which would be ideal.

Heck, I already have 3 fridges for ales, why not one more for sours, right? :eek:

you an ASH member?

I'm not but I have been thinking about joining.

Back