Sparging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellysell

Reaction score
I searched and searched, but couldn't find the answer to this. I'm doing my first AG batch as we speak, but am not sure when to start fly sparging? Do I lauter all of the first runnings first or start as the water gets about and inch or so above the grain bed? Thanks

You've got the right idea. Recirculate your first gallon or two until it runs clear, then keep 1 to 2 inches of water on top of the grain bed.

Well, I did it completely wrong, but still ended up hitting my target OG with 74% efficiency. Guess I have plenty of room for improvement!

Thanks guys

if you did it "completely wrong" then I think you pretty much batch sparged. batch sparging is mashing, running off all of your wort, adding all of your sparge water at once, then running off your 2nd runnings

if you did it "completely wrong" then I think you pretty much batch sparged. batch sparging is mashing, running off all of your wort, adding all of your sparge water at once, then running off your 2nd runnings

What I did was drain off all the wort, then started the water to the sparge arm and once it got about an inch above the wort started fly sparging.

Back