Saison recipe with only Sterling hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayZab

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to brew my first saison recipe and was planning on using wyeast 3711. I've heard this yeast produces a lot of spicy flavor and thus didn't want to use a spice-forward hop like Saaz. Wondering if I can use Sterling? I hear that sterling is less spicy with plenty of floral/citrus (hoping this complements 3711 well). Please let me know if you think Sterling will work well with the following recipe. Thanks!

Batch size: 5 gallons
Boil volume: 3.5 gallons
Est. OG: 1.048
Est. FG: 1.007
Bitterness: 22.1 IBUs
Est ABV: 5.6%

4 lb Pilsen Light DME
1 lb Bavarian Wheat DME
0.5 lb Dextrose

0.6 oz Sterling @ 60 min
1 oz Sterling @ 10 min
1 oz Sterling @ 0 min

Yeast: Wyeast 3711 (French Saison)

While that's true, it's also gaining favor as a saaz replacement. I like sterling myself. Rather noble flavor. I'd add the flavor/aroma additions at 15 & 3 minutes, respectively. More flavor & aroma that way. I read that 3711 would give peppery flavors, but didn't get it in too many bottles of my saison last year. More of a light barnyard flavor on the back. Otherwise, it was good.

Great, thanks for the reply. I will go ahead and try 3711 with Sterling then. Sounds like it should come out well.

Hey Ray. I'm considering making a Saison for the first time as well using Sterling. I know it's been a while, but how did this turn out?

Back