Difference in American vs. English LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaoDeBrew

Reaction score
I plan to make an American Pale Ale and recently picked up Muntons Light LME. I now realize that I should have likely went with the Briess LME since Briess is American.

So is it true, even for extracts, that American LME will leave a cleaner finish, whereas British LME will have more biscuit and malt character in it? I am shooting for a cleaner, sessionable brew where the hop flavor and aroma shines through. Is it worth the 15min trip to the LHBS to exchange the Muntons for Briess (would save ~$5 too, but that isn't the point). Thanks!

If anyone is interested, here is the recipe I plan to try:
Steep: 1/2# Crystal 20L, 1/4# Honey Malt
Amarillo Hops (.5 oz) - 60 min
Cascade Hops (1 oz) - 15 min
Amarillo Hops (.5 oz) - 5 min
Cascade Hops (1 oz) - 1 min
Light/Gold LME (6 lb) – 60 min
Pilsen/X-Light DME (1lb) - 15 min
US-05 Ale Yeast
-Split batch into 2 3gal carboys-
Amarillo Hops (1 oz) (2.5 gal - dry hopped for 3-7 days after Fermentation)
Dried Aji Amarillo Chiles (.5 oz) (2.5 gal - soak in vodka, add for 2-5 days after Primary slows)

I like the flavors I get from Munton's plain light DME. Never used their LME. Breisse gold LME is good. That caramel/biscotti flavor is nice. But Breisse would be cleaner tasting. It depends on what you're in the mood for with this one.

Thanks, I'm going for a crisp, light APA with focus on hop flavor and aroma without being overly bitter, as mentioned in the OP.

Just not sure about to the extent of how much flavor difference comes through from the LME. Is it as drastic as an AG batch with American 2-row vs Maris Otter? (never brewed AG)

Yeah, you could make that generalization. The addition of marris otter in small amounts would add to the flavor profile a bit. But for a clean taste, Breisse gold would do it. And grains like 2-row are base malts, & must be mashed.

Yeah, you could make that generalization. The addition of marris otter in small amounts would add to the flavor profile a bit. But for a clean taste, Breisse gold would do it. And grains like 2-row are base malts, & must be mashed.

Thanks, I know and am strictly talking extracts. I guess the question I get from that answer is, how much, if any, Maris Otter is in Muntons Light LME? I know that Muntons also makes a "Maris Otter Light" LME, so I wonder if there actually is any Maris Otter in their regular Light LME that I purchased.

I know both will make fine beer and I'm not worried over using either one. However, I would prefer to stick "to style" and also have a cleaner beer in the end. It is interesting to know if using one or the other matters moving forward.

It does seem that Munton's extracts do have some MO in them from the flavors I get. Mixing the DME with a partial mash does cut the biscotti-like flavor down though. It just depends on how much you use. The Breisse gold gives a more pronounced "American" sort of malt flavor.

You should be fine. The British LME may have a little more malt flavor, but it will be just from base malt, so there will not be a big difference (and what is wrong with a little malt flavor!).

It is Briess, no 'e', you used it in a couple of posts.

'But for a clean taste, Breisse gold' Briess Gold has C60 and Munich in it, so you will not get a clean base malt flavor. The Amber is the clean extract; being 99% base malt and 1% Carapils.

Interesting - my LHBS' website says that Briess' Golden LME (& DME) only has base malt & Carapils, and the amber has the C60 & Munich.

Are you sure you didn't get those switched around, @Calder ?

IMHO, your LME selection will not primarily drive the style b/w American Pale Ale and a British Pale Ale. The yeast, and hops chosen will be much more influential to the finished product. Possibly 10-20% adjunct, corn sugar etc would dry out the Muntons LME if it is a high finisher / too malty for a drier american style.

Thanks for all the responses. Some good answers in here. For the record, Briess Golden Light LME is 99% base malt, 1% Carapils.

It's good to hear that you think there is a difference, unionrdr, even if it is slight.

I swapped the Muntons for Briess yesterday, but it is still great hearing feedback. My LHBS employee did not think there was any Maris Otter in Muntons Light LME, so the difference between British and American base malts would be the only thing. I actually emailed Muntons to see what their Light LME is comprised of, since I haven't found it online. I'll post that if I hear back. :mug:

There is a difference in flavor, due to the location & thus, how the grains used are grown & treated. Besides what kind of grains. That's why I always liked experimenting with different malts. Different colors, flavors & aromas depending on where they're from & how they're processed.

Got a response from Muntons:
"Our Light Malt Extract is made from 100% 2-row IOB approved malting barley. The flavours and colour is attributed to the way the curing takes place."

Looks like there is no percentage of Carapils in Muntons, whereas Briess contains 1%.

Back