What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed... the only Sam Adams I seem to like is the original.

Maybe they just over do it? Maybe th beer tastes great fresh, out of the tap at the brew house... but it sure doesnt age well in the bottles.

I had their Hop special variety last night... Was drinking the Noble Pils with 5 noble hops in it... it was rich in hops... but jeez... who wants too much hop in a beer? If I tricked myself into liking it, it still would only be okay.

So to your point, yes, Sam Adams puts out some real questionable beers. Maybe they are over doing it?

Ummmm, this guy right here. I love me some hoppy beers!

I have never understood the hate Sam Adams gets in some places. Them and Sierra Nevada put out the best beer in the price range between BMC and true craft beer in my opinion. Sure they have a few I haven't liked like the Winter White(believe that was it's name) but 75%+ have been good to varying degrees in my opinion.

Maybe they just over do it? Maybe th beer tastes great fresh, out of the tap at the brew house... but it sure doesnt age well in the bottles.

I had their Hop special variety last night... Was drinking the Noble Pils with 5 noble hops in it... it was rich in hops... but jeez... who wants too much hop in a beer? If I tricked myself into liking it, it still would only be okay.

So to your point, yes, Sam Adams puts out some real questionable beers. Maybe they are over doing it?

Noble Pils is one of their best efforts and far from overly hoppy. I personally really enjoy it. I don't, however, usually like their specialty beers.

McNeill's - Oatmeal Stout not the worst beer I have ever had I'm sure, but it was by far the worst stout I've ever had. Someone please tell me I somehow got a bad bottle.

Abita Jockamo. I know many people like it but I got a 6 pack a few months ago and it was definitely not to my liking and I love IPA's. Maybe it was a old and stale 6 pack.

I really don't like super hoppy American IPA's. My SWMBO however, is a hop head. She keeps bringing home these beers for us to try. The last two were Dogfish IPA and something ***** IPA (with a wacked out female dog on the label). Couldn't stomach either of them. So yeah, any of those hey check out our crazy, trendy, grapefruit vomity, sidewalk eating IPA's with the funky label IPA's. Them's are the worst.
Oh yeah, and Gritty's Pumpkinhead...tastes like a pumpkin tossed its cookies

Cider123 said:
I really don't like super hoppy American IPA's. My SWMBO however, is a hop head. She keeps bringing home these beers for us to try. The last two were Dogfish IPA and something ***** IPA (with a wacked out female dog on the label). Couldn't stomach either of them. So yeah, any of those hey check out our crazy, trendy, grapefruit vomity, sidewalk eating IPA's with the funky label IPA's. Them's are the worst.

Ahhhh flying dog, raging ***** - isnt that a Belgian style ipa? Or was it a wheat IPA I don't remember but yeah I'm with you, despite how the labels caught my eye and really were promising, labels don't mean good beer, and so I have found I really haven't liked anything by flying dog

Rogue dead guy ale at a Buffalo Wild Wings .. It was nearly flat and dull. I don't know if it was flat and stale but it sure tasted like it, and ill be damned if I ever order one again.

Since I've started home brewing and appreciate hops more even yeungling is tasteless(and overly mAlty) to me

Your killing me....

Dead Guy ale is one of my favorites - especially on tap. I think you had a bad batch, bad tap line or mistreated keg. Don't let the one experience put you off. I can't see how it could be described as dull if something wasn't amiss.

Ying's & wings. Nuf' said.

You don't like SN Pale Ale?? C'mon, try it again!! :)

I think Sam's Old Fezziwig is atrocious. Mayflower's Pumpkin also bad.

yes old fezziwig was not something i would buy ever... tried it once

i would try it again to see if my palate was tainted but its the first beer i have absolutely despised

Add: Founder's Friendship Brew: Black Saison brewed with Spices. AND I LOVE Founder's. Not for me.

You can keep on lovin' them, since the Friendship Brew is done by Green Flash :D

I wonder if you're mixing up Green Flash's collaboration with Founder's (Linchpin IPA) with Green Flash's collaboration with St. Feullien (Friendship Brew).

Leffe Brun. Gross. I shared some with a friend who is also a beer fan and the best way we could describe it was a "cartoonish" level of belgian flavor. I still have like 3 bottles from the original 6 pack.

Awesome. I love the description.

The worst I've ever rated that was not biased (note, Ive rated Arrogant bastard quite harshly because I have a strong dislike for overrated, over hoped, unballlanced brew, and cannot drink that stuff and enjoy it), was Detroit Beer Company alt beer

I had this one at a beer tasting (ABC beer tasting If I recall), and between me and my friend, this one was rated worst of show

not just in terms of craft beer, but worst beer their period, beating out the typical macro brews and wannabe craft brews like Abita and Shock top.

Both me and my friend wanted to give it an 0/5, but was forced to rate it at 1.25 on BA
it was better then it deserved -_-
avoid at all costs

Review I psoted on BA
"I had this one at a beer tasting and both me and my friend agreed that it was the worst beer at the show, under-preforming even magic hat.

Apart from having a decent appearance, theirs nothing good about this beer

We only had to drink about a ounce of the stuff end even that was almost too much.
Skip it, get something else period"

You can keep on lovin' them, since the Friendship Brew is done by Green Flash :D

I wonder if you're mixing up Green Flash's collaboration with Founder's (Linchpin IPA) with Green Flash's collaboration with St. Feullien (Friendship Brew).

Ive actually NEVER been very impressed by Green Flashes stuff, and HATED their West Coast IPA

over-hopped, unbalanced, undrinkable drek. But the again I've never been a of fan of Hop-tea brew, I can understand that some might enjoy it

but I still passed this one up even when it had a free pint glass to go with it (glassware giveaways), and opted instead to drink the bars house beers and rate them all

It was a good decision ^_^

Man, I find both Arrogant Bastard and Green Flash West Coast IPA to both be balanced, yet extremely bitter. When I think of an unbalanced beer, I think of one that simply isn't brewed well - something wrong with the recipe. These may have a strong bitterness and lasts well through the finish, but I don't consider them unbalanced at all. Then again, I also find them delicious.

Man, I find both Arrogant Bastard and Green Flash West Coast IPA to both be balanced, yet extremely bitter. When I think of an unbalanced beer, I think of one that simply isn't brewed well - something wrong with the recipe. These may have a strong bitterness and lasts well through the finish, but I don't consider them unbalanced at all. Then again, I also find them delicious.

I would say they are both very unbalanced. But they are very good. Balance isn't necessarily key for a delicious beer.

I would say they are both very unbalanced. But they are very good. Balance isn't necessarily key for a delicious beer.

For me "balanced" is one of the most unhelpful descriptors for a beer. Not all beers are supposed to be "balanced." We have the whole concept of BU:GU for a reason.

Stouts aren't "balanced," they're just imbalanced in the other direction. I don't think IPAs are supposed to be "balanced."

VTDuffman said:
For me "balanced" is one of the most unhelpful descriptors for a beer. Not all beers are supposed to be "balanced." We have the whole concept of BU:GU for a reason.

Stouts aren't "balanced," they're just imbalanced in the other direction. I don't think IPAs are supposed to be "balanced."

+1, I think SOME beer STYLES are definitely supposed to be well balanced, but some beers are supposed to be a hopsmack in the face, and then some beers are supposed to be sweet and creamy. does not make them any less good to a person who enjoys that particular taste it leans more towards. Besides if I somehow balanced out something with a **** ton of Ibu's what the hell was point I could have just used less bittering hops haha

Had a bottle of captain bastard oatmeal stout that was so horrid. Don't know if I got a bad bottle or something but ya know when you smell something and then taste something akin to it. This smell/tasted like an ash tray. Not to mention it was thin and watery on top of that. Also not a fan of these "pumpkin" beers that are pretty much just budweiser with a boatload of pumpkin pie spice added. bleh.

I worked at Starr Hill for about 7 months. The Lucy is a summer ale brewed with lime and coriander. its syrupy and tastes and feels like cough syrup. One day I saw the brewers adding the lime and coriander extract and it was a thick, goopy, bright orange syrup that I could smell from the other side of the brewer. Can't imagine that beer ever being a refreshing summer ale. If anything it made me really thirsty for water.

I think there are so many factors. A person's taste, a bad batch, a skunked beer, so many factors beyond "a good recipe". The first time I had a Old Speckled Hen I loved the hops flavor and the right amount of hops aroma for me. Then the last 2 bottles I had were completely devoid of hops anything. They was bland and somewhat malty only. I don't know what happened.

HA, Ill clairfy:
For starters, Ill agree that the term of a "balanced beer" is highly subjective in terms of whether a beer is objectively good or bad

both Arrogant Bastard and Green Flash are far more hoped than they are sweet, so Id subjectivly call them unbalanced beers

Of course that just me
I prefer my beers to be more sweet than bitter, or at the very least, have a good maltyness to counter the bitterness. thats what I look for in a beer.

To be fair, thats a terribly objective marker for whether or not a beer is godo or bad, which more or less can only be measured in the brewing process...and as far as I can tell the brewing process is good for both beers

I could detect nothing wrong with them that is objectively bad, except for the part that I found them both very, very undrinkable because they made me gag from bitterness.

But to me, neither of those beers have anything to counter balance the hoppyness, which a lot of you people will say makes a beer great, but to me I enjoy a beer from its malt, and to me both beers seem terrible.

but I can accept that they are not terribly beer. I just find them terrible, and think that styles like IPA's can have both a good malty sweetness and depth WITH a good hoppy profile and makes a overall better beer. that's just my opinion however

I can recognize that if you aren't interested in having any particualry strong tastes from the malt, that those brews are perfectly fine beers if your looking for a heavily hoped brew and nothing decent on the malt side.

long story shot, their find if you like them, but if your me, they are not
I'm biased like everyone else and take pride in it

I shall conclude with a better response to this thread, all bias aside:

I still stand by my previous statement that the detroit brewing company alt is remarkably bad, and is the worst beer to claim to be "craft". I would also like to add that most beers from Abita, Rogue, and magic hat all suck (particualry, I hate Purple Haze, Magic hat 9, and rogue dead guy, all considered to be craft and most of their typical offerings are very unimpressive/overrated)

+1, I think SOME beer STYLES are definitely supposed to be well balanced, but some beers are supposed to be a hopsmack in the face, and then some beers are supposed to be sweet and creamy. does not make them any less good to a person who enjoys that particular taste it leans more towards. Besides if I somehow balanced out something with a **** ton of Ibu's what the hell was point I could have just used less bittering hops haha

You summed it up a lot simpler than I did, but yes, that is what I was going for.

I personally think that a beer should never be overly sweet or overly hoppy, but yea, that's just me

Sometimes I want a sweet smack in the face, and sometimes you want a hop smack in the face.

I worked at Starr Hill for about 7 months. The Lucy is a summer ale brewed with lime and coriander. its syrupy and tastes and feels like cough syrup. One day I saw the brewers adding the lime and coriander extract and it was a thick, goopy, bright orange syrup that I could smell from the other side of the brewer. Can't imagine that beer ever being a refreshing summer ale. If anything it made me really thirsty for water.

Dear god, I think I've had this one before..............It was damn terrible.

Id put a cross between this and the Detroit alt as two of the worst craft beers of all time

Anchor Christmas Ale. I've only had the 2012 version and it was terrible. Tastes like watered down Jagermeister.

ryno1ryno said:

I think the Sam Adams pale ale (not Boston pale just the pale) is rather good...it's EKG and Fuggles. I cloned it a couple times it came out quite good ...their harvest beer is gross though, really rather boring.

Cider123 said:

I was like you once ... I said the same things. I don't like dogfish 60 anymore because I find it too malty. The ***** IPA is probably flying dog, which is pretty decent if I recall.

I don't like overly bittered iPas still but I love HOPPY beers. Grapefruit puke sounds damned good !

rino1rino:
Over doing it seems to be the thing these days . Notice that everything is over done to the point it really is not that good . Beers are out of control . Movies are so over done that the stunts are stupid and make the flic not so enjoyable . Hey at least make them kind of believable . Fast food and drinks are super sized . It just goes on and on

rino1rino:
Over doing it seems to be the thing these days . Notice that everything is over done to the point it really is not that good . Beers are out of control . Movies are so over done that the stunts are stupid and make the flic not so enjoyable . Hey at least make them kind of believable . Fast food and drinks are super sized . It just goes on and on

+1

New Belgium hoptoberfest wife bought it for me and wow if you like hop strong taste and flavor this beer is it for you. Myself I prefer stouter and porters.

New Belgium hoptoberfest wife bought it for me and wow if you like hop strong taste and flavor this beer is it for you. Myself I prefer stouter and porters.

I would call that beer slightly hippy at most. The balance is tipped towards malt.

Foothills Brewing's People's Porter. I may get another bottle if I ever need to strip some paint.

Back