Barleywine for my birthday!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stalewater

Reaction score
So i have searched on here for a good barleywine recipe, nothing really jumped out at me. I 'am searching for one that someone has brewed multiple times hopefully a timetested recipe, My b-day is in january and i'd like to get started now, i know its a little late but so what i like big beers at the 5 to 6 month rage. I have a whole pound of cenntenial. Help me out please!!

What type of barley wine? Even if you knew if the American or English style suits you better, that's a start. Do you have any favorite commercial examples?

Off the top of my head (my computer is down for the while and my recipes with it)

Try this:

18# Marris Otter
2# Brown Malt
(add some sugar if you want it dry or more ABV)
Mash at 149-151 depending on how dry you want it also.
90 min boil

1oz of Cent at 60
1oz of Cent at 10
1oz of Cent at dry hop

Sorry I dont have number since I can't get to my beersmith, but that should work for you. I am planning on doing something similar to this but with a higher OG and using EKG for the hops. If you have the software to check it, make it about 1.100 OG with about 60 IBU's from your first charge and the others should be good.

I love american barleywines, my fav. commerical examples is bigfoot from sierra, oldfoghorn from anchor steam,old guardian form stone. But my request was does ant body have a timetested reciepe, something you have made a few times and are sure of!!

Not to derail your thread stalewater but it looks consistent with recipes...a crap ton of base a few lbs of flavor, long boil and a ton of hops!

Have you tried a sample yet, how did it taste, and did you use thier kit or go to your homebrew shop to get the ingredients

I used the extract kit since I don't have a mash tun big enough to handle that much grains.

I tried a sample of it before adding the oak in January and it was pretty close to the SN Bigfoot, maybe a little hoppier since it was so young when I tried it. I also tried it last week at bottling and the hoppiness subsided quite a bit, it was still bitter but the malts and the oakiness really stared to shine through. It ended up ending at 10% but it did not have an alchol burn at all. I'll be cracking open my first bottle in November,exactly one year after brewing it.

So anyone who was intrested in this thread i didnt get much help on here so i went a few more avenues and came up with a pretty good receipe here it is im gonna try it out and hope for the best

24# Base Malt (2 Row, Maris or Golden Promise depending on your preference)
1# Caramel 10
1# Carmel 80
1/4# Pale Chocolate
1/4# Special B

2oz Apollo @ 60
1oz Columbus @ 20
2oz Cascade @ 10
3oz Cascade @ 0

Dry Hop with Columbus and/or Cascade

Yeast: I'd recommend a big starter of your favorite American Ale yeast

Let me know if you have any questions. This should come in around 12% to 13%.
--
Got some help from my boys at rebel brewer and we came up with this

Now its a five gallon grist but im gonna parti gyle this bad boy, i plan on brewing it here in a week or to and i will keep updating this to let you guys know how it comes out. Wish me luck CHEERS!!:mug:

I your going English style your going to have to bump up the boil time, 90 minutes at least. You just won't get the barley wine flavor you want out of a 60 minute boil. Trust me I do 5-6 batches of barley wine a year.

This is supposed to be an american barley wine, i usually do 90 min boils on alot of my beer to get the gravity where i want what i plan on doing is boil for 30 min then add my 60 min addition

I your going English style your going to have to bump up the boil time, 90 minutes at least. You just won't get the barley wine flavor you want out of a 60 minute boil. Trust me I do 5-6 batches of barley wine a year.

care to share your recipe? i have had a barleywine in the queue for a while but didn't want to begin until i had something that looked pretty reliable

I just did a 10 gallon batch of my American barley wine a couple days ago. The recipe is below, I just scaled it that is why there are some odd weights. It has been my experience that there are three keys to barley wine. The first is a long boil, dark malts don't replicate the melanoidins created with a long boil. Secondly HUGE pitching rates are essential if you don't want a cloying beer. Third is to add oxygen 12-18 hours after fermentation starts. Good luck

Blitzen "Christmas" barley Wine
American Barleywine
Type: All Grain Date: 8/7/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer: Paul Herrera
Boil Size: 8.50 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 120 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 6.24 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 83.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.25 gal Est Mash Efficiency 99.6 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
19 lbs 12.2 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.5 %
1 lbs 1.8 oz Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.8 %
1 lbs 1.8 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 %
15.8 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 4.2 %
4.5 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.2 %
2.2 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 6 0.6 %
0.98 oz Warrior [16.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 33.3 IBUs
0.49 oz Citra [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 13.8 IBUs
0.49 oz Magnum [13.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 13.1 IBUs
0.49 oz Summit [16.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 16.0 IBUs
0.98 oz Centennial [9.70 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 11 17.0 IBUs
0.98 oz Citra [13.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 12 21.3 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 13 -
2.94 oz Celeia [3.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 14 4.2 IBUs

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.140 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.105 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.027 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 15.3 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 11.4 %
Bitterness: 118.6 IBUs Calories: 370.1 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 18.9 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 23 lbs 6.4 oz
Sparge Water: 4.00 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 6.80

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 32.45 qt of water at 162.2 F 149.0 F 90 min
Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 4.00 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Keg Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 12.54 PSI Carbonation Used: Keg with 12.54 PSI
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 45.0 F Age for: 180.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Wow that looks great, i see you dont have a 90 min hop addition, i must have misunderstood you i plan on doing a 90 min boil so we see eye to eye on that. Good looking receipe

Back