Any way to cap twist offs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It requires a special caper to do those twist caps that just isn't available to the home brewer, otherwise you won't get a good seal. You can just buy some blue bottles. I believe they are a bit darker than buds.

I'm not familiar with the platinum bottles, however i have capped twist off bottles (molson canadian) with a bench capper and it maintained a good seal for months.

Blue bottles do let in more uv light than green bottles, so get ready for some skunky beer.

I have been successful with bottling twist top beer bottles with already carbonated and kegged beer, with a simple winged capper, but have not tried it with bottle conditioned beer to see if it can withstand the pressure. So you may have some luck with bottling twist caps.

is your girl drinking homebrew straight from the bottle?

If not...who cares. Get some blue spray paint :tank:

try it and let us know! those are aluminum aren't they? maybe it performs differently than the glass bottles with homebrew in em too.

Go for it and post your findings!

SliPPery_PiGLeT said:
try it and let us know! those are aluminum aren't they? maybe it performs differently than the glass bottles with homebrew in em too.

Go for it and post your findings!

Some of the platinums are glass.

Look for the Super Bowl aluminum bottles - they are pop tops. $15 / 15 and they are 16ozers. We have them heavy in the superbowl city right now!

BobC said:
It requires a special caper to do those twist caps that just isn't available to the home brewer, otherwise you won't get a good seal. You can just buy some blue bottles. I believe they are a bit darker than buds.

I looked at just buying some blue bottles, all the bottles i found were really expensive.

wolfstar said:
is your girl drinking homebrew straight from the bottle?

If not...who cares. Get some blue spray paint :tank:

I told her i wanted to brew some beer for our wedding (july) and its a beach wedding. The labels i got are also beach themed so blue bottles would be sweet for this. If i could find blue bottles for the same price as brown ( $130 for 120 bottles) i would just buy them

$130 for 120? That seems out of hand to me..Like I said, $15 for a case here (24). I don't know what they are online though.

Lunchtime said:
$130 for 120? That seems out of hand to me..Like I said, $15 for a case here (24). I don't know what they are online though.

Yea they were about 12 bucks for 24 from northern brewer, shipping cost me though

I saw one of those empty platinum glass bottles laying on the ground the other day and thought, "what a waste".

I've used glass twist offs for bottle conditioning before, with just the normal little handheld capper. It worked fine, but I was always uneasy about those twist off bottles, and drank them first.

You should just try it for yourself. You have plenty of time before the wedding.

Look for the Super Bowl aluminum bottles - they are pop tops. $15 / 15 and they are 16ozers. We have them heavy in the superbowl city right now!

I had to edit my previous post that was posted from my brewPHONE. I couldn't edit it last night.

Anyways, would the 16 oz aluminum bottles work? They are not twist off. I understand they wouldn't be preferable for a beach wedding or the like, but should I load up on a few cases of them before they are gone for good? I assume they would work, or not?

I'm sorry to keep asking, but can you bottle beer in the aluminum bottles (non twisties)?

Back