Lovibond =SRM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretman124

Reaction score
Is there a formula or some sort of way to convert Lovibond to SRM? I'm looking at beer styles and the color of the beer is given in lovibond. I use beertools to work with recipes and they give color in SRM. How can I tell what 78 degrees L is in SRM?

Thanks

My understanding is that Lovibond and SRM are almost exactly the same. The differences in value are fractions of a point, and not really something to worry about. People still use ºL to describe how dark a grain is, but use SRM to describe the color of the beer. They are pretty much interchangeable.

Oh, and keep in mind that Lovibond is an old way of comparing the color of the extract from a particular grain to that of colored glass, using some sort of colorimeter, which, in and of itself is not greatly accurate. Its mostly an estimation.

John Palmer devotes a bit of discussion in his book "How to Brew" about the relationship between Lovibond and SRM.

If I remember correctly, at one end of the scale they're identical, but as colors get darker (or is it lighter?) the match goes away.

Check out his book...................

If you use the formula given in this thread, the 78 L calculates to a 104 SRM. Unless you have a spectrophotometer, you are not going to tell any difference once the beer appears dark to the human eye.. It will just be dark. Beers generally are "dark" at a L or SRM of about 17 -20. After that, it is difficult to assess color with the eye. For colors of beer where a difference can be observed, generally L = SRM.

I hope this helps.:)

Dr Malt:mug:

Dr Malt said:
If you use the formula given in this thread, the 78 L calculates to a 104 SRM. Unless you have a spectrophotometer, you are not going to tell any difference once the beer appears dark to the human eye.. It will just be dark. Beers generally are "dark" at a L or SRM of about 17 -20. After that, it is difficult to assess color with the eye. For colors of beer where a difference can be observed, generally L = SRM.

I hope this helps.:)

Dr Malt:mug:

Thanks Dr. Malt! that the makes the most sense, to my simple beer soaked mind, anyway

Back