Labatt Variety Pack...Red Lager is an Ale?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
So I only had $20 or so last weekend and wanted some beer, so I bought a case of Labatt, it was their variety pack. Came with a red lager, brown ale, marzen and a classic porter.

On the side of the label it says "Ale", on all of them...even the Red Lager and the Marzen. Now I'm pretty sure most Marzen's or Oktoberfest's are Lagers, and I know damn well if you call it a Red Lager it should be a lager not an ale...so is this a typo or some ridiculous marketing crap coming from Labatt?

That makes sense. I am in PA and we have the most bass ackwards liquour and beer laws in the country I think. For example as a business owner I can't open a liqour store because the state holds a monopoly on them. You can't buy cases of beer or kegs anywhere other than a beer distributor. Theres only a handful of grocery stores in the state that can sell beer. You can only walk out of a bar with 2 six packs, though you're allowed to put them in your car and return for as many trips as you'd like. And only in the past few years have we been allowed to buy alcohol on Sundays.

That makes sense. I am in PA and we have the most bass ackwards liquour and beer laws in the country I think. For example as a business owner I can't open a liqour store because the state holds a monopoly on them. You can't buy cases of beer or kegs anywhere other than a beer distributor. Theres only a handful of grocery stores in the state that can sell beer. You can only walk out of a bar with 2 six packs, though you're allowed to put them in your car and return for as many trips as you'd like. And only in the past few years have we been allowed to buy alcohol on Sundays.

Colorado is largely a beer nirvana, but we have a few weird laws. Sunday sales were only made legal in 2008. Businesses are only allowed one liquor license each, which means that a supermarket chain can choose one store in the state that can sell alcohol. Otherwise, supermarkets are limited to beer having less than 3.2% alcohol by weight (approx 4% by volume), as are convenience stores.

Latest posts

Back