Damn you gravity! Damn you hydrometer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Yes, you guessed it, it rolled off the table at the most inopportune time. Just before taking a reading on an experimental brew!! Anyway, I'm thinking of just getting a refractometer instead.

Any reason I can't completely replace a hydrometer with a refractometer?

a refractometer doesnt give you an accurate reading post-fermentation. You have to use a correction scale. It only gives true readings pre-fermentation.

However. Get one. Do it now. One of the best things you can do to really dial in your brews. (read: instant gravity readings pre boil, mid boil, post boil...adjust gravity to hit target OG with DME or Water on the fly...)

I would also recomend getting a refractometer. I use this chart from More Beer to check my FG. I check with a hydrometer every now and then but so far the chart seems to be close enough.

IMO, you really should have one of each. Treat both with care and they will last you a lifetime. I've been brewing for more than ten years. I have three hydrometers and have not broken any to date. Still have my original refractometer too. I sometimes wear tools out, but only rarely do I break or lose any.

Back