tea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So- as himself was curled up with the cat and a pint of beer (which has an increasingly stable head! Woo hoo!) I got a description- he says this batch tastes like what Lagunitas Maximus would be if it were a nut brown ale.

We dumped the tea in and boiled it for the whole 1.5 hours. Really, we are using strong tea rather than water as the liquid for this stuff. As tea, this would be a disaster! As beer, it seems to work. I don't know if it is because of all the sugars in the boil, or just that the tannin actually works well with the hops.

And thank for the tip on number of posts! I'll wait until I hit 25 and try to do that link again! Meanwhile, the album is there, it's called Hrothgar's first steps.

So- as himself was curled up with the cat and a pint of beer (which has an increasingly stable head! Woo hoo!) I got a description- he says this batch tastes like what Lagunitas Maximus would be if it were a nut brown ale.

We dumped the tea in and boiled it for the whole 1.5 hours. Really, we are using strong tea rather than water as the liquid for this stuff. As tea, this would be a disaster! As beer, it seems to work. I don't know if it is because of all the sugars in the boil, or just that the tannin actually works well with the hops.

And thank for the tip on number of posts! I'll wait until I hit 25 and try to do that link again! Meanwhile, the album is there, it's called Hrothgar's first steps.

Lol, a brown Maximus...ok then. So then the cheap black tea imparted a flavor that is similar to a nut brown? Interesting.

That makes sense then. Overboiled and overextracted tea has a bitter, astringent taste and sometimes loses it's tea-ness...tea-osity? While generally horrible as a tea, if you're looking for those qualities in a beer (in which you two were) then it works. Makes me wonder what happens if you add tea like a hopping schedule. Bitterness, then aroma?

I think brewing, like baking (which I am WAY better at) is part chemistry, part magic, and part sacrificing to the right deity! Goddess knows why overboiled bad tea came out tasting good as a beer! I do like the idea of adding some good stuff right at the end for aroma though. I'm thinking, that as black tea is sort of roasted,/aged, it might be adding some of that roasted grain element. Think I'll try the bananna trick I've been reading about too!

Wonder if one of the smoked teas would make a beer that appeals to folk who like peat flavors?

really, MUST win lottery! Too many ideas! Need more vapor locks!

I would wonder what would happen if you added the tea while cooling, when it got to around the right temperature for steeping. Seems like the results should be smoother or at least more predictable.

I put 124g of old Russian Caravan in the boil for my copy of lcasanov's double chocolate stout. I guess we'll find out how it worked here in a month and a half. The wort sure smelled more like beer.

Sounds good, I may see what I can do with the recipes. I was just drinking one of the assam teas yesterday with some chocolate nibs to see if I could figure out how that would taste. Still considering if I want to use powder for the boil, then nibs secondary, or nibs for both since there's a lot of discussion out there for both methods, but definately going to try the tea at the end of the boil. Once I finish with the roasted whole oat test at least.

Back