Lakefront IPA recipe anyone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
I have not been able to find this recipe anywhere from Milwaukee's best microbrewery. It is my favorite IPA by far and cannot find any recipe clone of this. Please post one if anyone has seen or made this clone from Lakefront Brewery. :mug:

Their site says "American Cascade and Chinook hops dominate the aroma... Alcohol by volume - 6.9%." Not a bad start. You can take another IPA recipe and use the two hops mentioned. You can also try email the brewery to see if they'll give you any other hints. Good luck.

Just got a response from Lakefront Brewery and they provided me with the recipe for their full batch. They told me to scale it down, but at least I've got their recipe...Here it is!!!

Mash Water: 33 bbls. Sparge water: 28 bbls.
2800 lbs. 2-row pale malt
165 lbs. Caramel malt @ 20°L
110 lbs. Caramel malt @ 45°L
3788g Columbus hops at boil
5785g Cascade hops at 1:25
6105g Cascade at end of boil 1:30
6000g Cascade dry hop
6000g Chinook dry hop
6000g Simcoe dry hop

Lakefront rocks!!!

looks to be:

91% 2-row
5% caramel 20L
4% caramel 45L
.63oz columbus 1:30
.96oz cascade 1:25
1oz cascade flame out

dry hop an oz each of cascade, chinook, and simcoe (I assume for a 5 gal batch)

Looking forward to making this!!!

looks to be:

91% 2-row
5% caramel 20L
4% caramel 45L
.63oz columbus 1:30
.96oz cascade 1:25
1oz cascade flame out

dry hop an oz each of cascade, chinook, and simcoe (I assume for a 5 gal batch)

Looking forward to making this!!!

Yep, that's what I got out of it too. Except I don't think .63 ounce of columbus at 90 is enough to get the IBUs I think it needs. Even .75 ounce is a bit low, but I'd go with that. My hopping is basically the same, but reads:

.75 columbus 90 minutes
1.00 cascade 5 minutes
1.00 cascade flameout

and the same dryhopping.

I wrote it this way, just for simplicity's sake.

.75 columbus 90 minutes
1.00 cascade 5 minutes
1.00 cascade flameout

I haven't tasted Lakefront, but it sounds yummy, so I'm interested in trying the recipe. This hop schedule only gets me to about 45 IBUs with .75 oz. Columbus (15.5AA) @90 minutes; is that about right for this beer? Just wondering, because it seems a bit lower than I would expect in an IPA.

I haven't tasted Lakefront, but it sounds yummy, so I'm interested in trying the recipe. This hop schedule only gets me to about 45 IBUs with .75 oz. Columbus (15.5AA) @90 minutes; is that about right for this beer? Just wondering, because it seems a bit lower than I would expect in an IPA.

Yeah, it's lower than I'd expect too. It's a very hoppy beer, but not terribly bitter. On tap, it's probably my favorite beer. Bottled, it's better than average.

I think I'll go with the 45-50 IBUs or so the first time. I rarely get Lakefront IPA, so I don't think it'll be easy for me to say whether it'll be a clone or not, unless I actually get to Milwaukee in the next few months.

I'll make this next week, and see how close it is.

Thanks for the recipe Trevor and Yooper. I have a list of other Lakefront recipes and if things have not changed at the brewery, they add CaCl2 to our moderately hard Lake Michigan water (about 2-3g per 5 gallon final batch size, which is roughly 3/4-1 tsp) and mash at 155F for "all" their beers.

Glad you heard back. Pro brewers get better hop extraction than you can get at home, so you may want to up the hops a bit.

You should be able to scale the malts down to your batch size, but as Oldsock said, their hop extraction rate will be much higher.

I agree with Trevor and Yooper on the late hop additions, and you could get a good starting point for the columbus by shooting for 45 IBU's using brewing software.

I got the IBU suggestion from http://draftmag.com/beerreviews/detail/838

-a.

I'll make this next week, and see how close it is.
Any updates? Bought a 6-pack of this from HyVee here in Lincoln, NE, and absolutely love it.

Also, what type of yeast did you use/plan on using? It's bottle conditioned, and I've considered trying to culture that, but not sure if it's the same strain in the bottle as what they ferment with, but I'll make the assumption that it is.

Any updates? Bought a 6-pack of this from HyVee here in Lincoln, NE, and absolutely love it.

Also, what type of yeast did you use/plan on using? It's bottle conditioned, and I've considered trying to culture that, but not sure if it's the same strain in the bottle as what they ferment with, but I'll make the assumption that it is.

Oh, yes, thanks for reminding me! It came out really, really good! I finally got my hands on a 6-pack yesterday so was eager to compare head to head. My son-in-law and his buddies finished the keg on Monday night! I was about 12 hours too late. I'll drink a Lakefront tonight, and see if I can compare from memory.

Here's the recipe I used:

12 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.07 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.36 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
-
1.25 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 47.8 IBU

1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops

1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

We just returned from a trip to Milwaukee and Madison. We had a chance to sample some good beers but got to the Lakefront Brewery too early in the day and they were closed. I really wanted to try their IPA but couldn't even find it in stores. So, I want to brew it even though I won't have the real thing to compare it to. A couple of questions for you. What kind of yeast and what mash temp?

I made this as soon as I saw the recipe in the thread (after a few abortive attempts to clone on my own). I mashed at 155 as per the suggestion in a previous post. I used Cali V as my yeast. Came out great.

I was just at the brewery last weekend. We took the tour and it was great. The one brother that is also the owner was our tour guide. He was very cool and funny too. I was only one out of a few guys in our huge group that was a homebrewer, so everyone didn't really know what was happening around them. The guy did a great job explaining what they do though. It's a very down and dirty place, not fancy by all means. They have a big open area with a bar and just some plastic chairs and tables to sit at. They have weddings there a lot. For 7 bucks you get 4 tokens to trade in for 8oz beers. You can actually get in a few extra too, as towards the end of the tour they will fill ya up even if you don have any tokens. You then trade in your plastic cup for a free pint glass. It's a great deal and I've heard that the locals do the tour all the time just because it is worth it everytime. We had a great time there.

Love the IPA, you should try the Fixed Gear though. It's an American Red. Very tasty also.

resurrection alert: it stays cloudy and tastes yeasty to me. I haven't had an ipa that stays cloudy like this. Could they be using a yeast that we're not thinking of?

Sorry first post...kinda new at this...What would the breakdown for a 5gal partial mash be on these ferementables?

Sorry first post...kinda new at this...What would the breakdown for a 5gal partial mash be on these ferementables?

Use the crystal malt as is, and then as much pale malt as you want. Get the rest of your fermentables from pale or extra pale liquid or dry malt extract.

Back