using Potassium sorbate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy-m-c

Reaction score
I really hate to use taste altering chemicals, but i have a pear wine i made. It has been racked 3 times once a month and now it's in the 4th month and i'm ready to bottle, should i sorbate it and wait a week to bottle? Anyone use Ascorbic Acid when you bottle? thanks for the help

I think you can sorbate and bottle instantly, especially since you are 4 months into the process. Maybe someone thinks different?

Are you sweetening this wine? If not, don't bother with the sorbate. If you are, you want to rack onto the sorbate, mixed with 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon, and then let it sit a couple of days to ensure that there is no yeast reproduction. Then, sweeten to taste (just a bit less sweet than desired, since it seems to get sweeter in the bottle), and let sit a couple more days. Then, it can be bottled.

Well i usally don't sorbate after that long of a time, but had a recent bottle bomb and i would really hate for that to happen with this wine snice i have so much time in it, but i really don't think i will, how about using anything else like campdent tablets, or any anti-oxident, i plan on this aging for a while. The reason i ask is the wine i usally make doesn't sit that long and gets drank pretty quick.this is my first, I'll call really wine,

just make sure you sorbate AND sulfite. sorbate-only can open you up to a geranium off flavor that won't age out.

not guaranteed, but not worth risking either.

You can definitely taste sorbate in a wine! If you can Sterile filter the wine you wont have any issues with refirmentation. But if you cant i would add sorbate if you are making a sweet wine. If you are bottling dry wine do not sorbate it. I would add some sulfite, there is free So2 and Total So2, i would get your free up to 50ppm if you can.

Back