Floral Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidwolf86

Reaction score
Something I've had in mind for a couple of months is a flowery or floral beer. Not sure how I would accomplish this beyond hops.

If anybody knows anything about making a floral beer, grain recommendation, hop recommendation, dried, edible flowers in boil? yeast? Anything would help for this.
:fro:

Sacred Herbal Healing Beers by Stephen Harrod Buhner. Its a pretty interesting read with sections on medicinal herbs, psychotropic herbs, etc. I am dying to make the yarrow beer. By psychotropic I think they basically mean it gets you drunker than the stated abv.

Sacred Herbal Healing Beers by Stephen Harrod Buhner. Its a pretty interesting read with sections on medicinal herbs, psychotropic herbs, etc. I am dying to make the yarrow beer. By psychotropic I think they basically mean it gets you drunker than the stated abv.

I found this one at powell's. I think I'm going to pick it up this week and see if I can figure this out. Will eventually post a recipe/result

Beers with a lot of late centennial and cascade hop additions can turn out very floral with the right grain bill. One that comes to mind is Bear Republic's XP pale ale. Maybe some sort of clone or alteration of it would do?

I vote for late hop additions, and against weird herbal stuff.

Good luck :mug:

What about crystal hops in addition with that? I've not used them alot, but I remember them having a very light aroma

Rogues Brutal Bitter with all Crystal hops turns out very floral and very tasty. Drink @ 55F or so with light carbination and enjoy. Search for clone recipe.

I brewed a miller lite clone as an ale once........it turned out very floral, and quite delicious.;)

Why they lager out the little flavor that remains, I will never understand.

Lavender goes surprising well with a "C" IPA. A couple grams of flower petals per gallon is plenty.

Well if you are not opposed to adjuncts you could use Jasmine rice

I have cooked with Jasmine rice and found the jasmine taste very delecate to the point of non-exhistance. I'm not sure the beer would pick up anything from it.

Why not just use Jasmine tea. There is an abundance of high quality jasmine tea's out there, especially with loose tea's shops making a move in the coffee shop market.

Lots of flowers or herbs can be used to give nice floral notes.

Hibiscus
Lavender
Chamomile
Heather
Jasmine tea
Rosehips
Rose water
Orange blossom water

Just be aware that most of these have very strong flavors and aromas. If you don't want it to taste like soap, be gentle with your additions. Here's a couple of beers you can look into for inspiration.

Dieu du ciel rose d'hibiscus
Elysian jasmine ipa
Bruery orchard white
Froach heather ale

Back