First Fresh Fruit Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gp125racer

Reaction score
All,

Im planning on doing my first real fruit brew (not using any fruit extracts), and I have a few questions on how others approach this process.

Heres what Im planning:

Step 1: Chunk or Puree 2lbs of fruit per 1 gallon of wort

Step 2: Freeze Fruit

Step 3: Add thawed fruit to wort at end of boil
At the end of the boil time (normally 60 -90 minutes for me), reduce heat to approx 175 degrees, and add mesh bag with thawed and chunked fruit. Steep for approx 15 - 20 minutes.

Step 4: Remove grain bag with fruit and finish cooling as normal.

So my question comes down to, will this give enough flavor? Or should I keep the 'heated' fruit I used in the grain bag around and use it during secondary? Im assuming the fruit will break down under any heat so this might not be doable/neccassary.

Thanks a million everyone. :mug:

-=gp125racer=-

I personally think it's better to add the fruit after primary fermentation has finished - you get more fruit flavor & aroma that way.

I've done a few fruit beers. I've found that a half a pound to maybe 3/4 of a pound per gallon in a secondary is plenty for both color and flavor. Pasteurize* it, then dump it right on in. I've used a third stage for more clarity and come up with some remarkably clear and colorful beers this way (I've made ales, not wheat beers - I like my wheat fruit-free).

I've omitted steeping grains and used about half rice solids in place of malt extract to get a very light color.

I just bought about 3.5 pounds of black raspberries for this year's holiday fruit beer. If anyone is thinking of holiday fruit beers, now is the time to buy the fruit - any later and they start to get pretty steep.

I personaly have used fruit as if it were steeping grains, but let it get to a boil with the fruit for a few minutes. Then take that fruit that will be in your steeping grain bag and put it in a tupperware and freeze it.
Once its time to secondary thaw out the tupperware witht eh fruit in the bag and put the bag in the secondary. (little mess)

Came out with great flavor, aroma and color for me.

Doh - forgot the pasteurizing method - I meant to include it as a footnote.

Heat your fruit in water to about 160F for ten minutes. Using the usual sanitization precautions, spoon it into your secondary. That's about it.

Back