Rebottling wine in smaller bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleb

Reaction score
I purchased 2 1gal. jugs (one red and one white) of wine from a homewinemaker and want to bottle in smaller sizes. I'm concerned that the air in the new bottles won't be good for the wine. Will it reduce the shelf life and is there any other concerns I should have?

I purchased 2 1gal. jugs (one red and one white) of wine from a homewinemaker and want to bottle in smaller sizes. I'm concerned that the air in the new bottles won't be good for the wine. Will it reduce the shelf life and is there any other concerns I should have?

If you very carefully rack (siphon) from the jugs, it might be ok. I personally wouldn't bother, since you'd be risking oxidation and aerating the finished wine.

I know its a crime to try re-bottling but my dilemma is that the 1 gallon size is too large for me to drink in short amount of time. Am I wrong? Can I open the gallon jug and expect it to be good for at least a month of me drinking? I may consider getting a small tank of gas to purge the bottles at bottling. Would you bother if you had a tank? Thanks for the reply yoop

I guess I take a little different approach.
All you can do is try and if it turns out bad well then ....

I had some mead that turned into bottle bombs and I didn't want to lose it.
My idea was to open the bottles, let them sit and de-carbonize for a couple minutes then bottle again.

4 months later and all seems to be well. They'll probably all be gone in a couple months but I would never have known if I hadn't tried.

This group is great and I've learned so much from Yooper's post but sometimes "ya just gotta grab the bull by the horns and do it"

My $.02 worth

D

I've been brewing and tasting tonite so sorry if I rambled

I purchased 2 1gal. jugs of wine from a homewinemaker

???

I don't think it would hurt too much to rebottle. Use a funnel and try to pour it down the side of the bottle to avoid splashing. You can use beer bottles with crown caps as well. Maybe put them in the fridge if you have the room.

Back