Mistakes I made when kegging the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrlandoHomeBrewer

Reaction score
Today has been a bit of a challenge...

I made Ed Wort's Apfelwein on 3-23 and was ready to keg it today. I also made a Strong Scottsman 2 weeks ago and was ready to transfer it from the primary. I decided to put it in a keg for the secondary (for the 1st time) instead of a carboy.

As a little background, it has been raining here for 5 days straight and I have a detached garage so I spent a lot of time going back and forth and getting drenched.

Cleaned and sanitized the two kegs without a problem...

Decided to move the beer first and that was a HUGE mistake. I realized my tubing was 1/4" and my spigot was 3/8". Like an impatient idiot I decided to just "hold them together" while transferring 5 gallons. It went well for the first 2 gallons. Then my hands started getting tired, beer started leaking and I was too committed to the transfer. While trying to hold it together, the beer was running down my hands and arms into the keg. I finally wound up putting the bucket in my lap and held the keg between my legs at an angle and turned the spigot back on, pouring the beer down the side of the keg. Needless to say, a lot of air was introduced even though I did my best to pour "quietly". I closed the keg and it is just sitting on the tile floor. Assuming it isn't ruined and as I understand it, I am supposed to just pull the relief valve once a day and it should be ok for secondary. Is that right?

Regaining my sanity, I went to the LHBS and bought more 3/8 tubing. Moving the Apfelwein was a piece of cake compared to the beer. Sealed up the keg, hit it with 35 PSI to seat the lid and then dialed it down to 12 PSI. Left the CO2 hooked up and moved it to a closet in the den. My plan is to let it continue to age at room temp for another two weeks (on the gas) and then chill it.

I don't have a fridge yet (I have a search running on Craig's List) so I can't do any better than that for right now.

Something tells me the beer is toast and the Apfelwein is fine. Thoughts? Encouraging replies welcomed.

Len

Thanks and thanks.

I hit the beer with 35 PSI for a minute and then pulled the relief valve until it was just barely whistling.

There have been a number of working fridges on Craig's List for under $50 locally. I have just been slow moving on them since I didn't have anything in the keg. Can't use that excuse anymore...

At temperature, 12 psi won't carbonate your cider. If you want it carbed in a week or two, you need to turn it way up. I'll find a link to a carbonation chart.

CO2 doesn't dissolve easily into room temperature liquid, so you need a much higher PSI when carbonating a room temperature liquid. Around 30 psi, but I'll find the link to be sure.

At temperature, 12 psi won't carbonate your cider. If you want it carbed in a week or two, you need to turn it way up. I'll find a link to a carbonation chart.

CO2 doesn't dissolve easily into room temperature liquid, so you need a much higher PSI when carbonating a room temperature liquid. Around 30 psi, but I'll find the link to be sure.

It's not easy to read, but:

Force Carbonation & Carb Table

Thanks for the heads up. If I just want to age it in the keg at room temperature what should I do?

Back