So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be brewing a stout (a beer I hated when I first started drinking/making beer). I thought it was too syrupy, too thick, too bitter. I don't know what I was thinking!

Scored a pound of Mosaic pellets for helping my brewpub boss a few weeks ago, so finally going to use them to brew up a batch of my House SMaSH IPA tomorrow morning. The heat wave we've had the last two weeks has passed so it should be a pleasant brewday starting at 5am tomorrow. During the downtime I'll be making hardboiled eggs in the Instant pot I got for my birthday to turn into devilled eggs for the work BBQ tomorrow afternoon. Going to be a busy day!!

Brewing a coconut IPA this weekend. Posted a few pics of brew-day to one of the more popular facebook groups and got shadow banned... apparently the ADMIN's take great offence to such a thing... :-D

Brewing a sweet stout this weekend. I just pitched my yeast and am finding myself checking for signs of fermentation when I know damn well it's way to early for that. I had my first boil over because I somehow ended up with way to much wort pre boil. I actually ended up doing a mini boil and extending the boil a bit to cut back on the wort. I am also making spent grain dog treats! I'm adding. Cherries and coca nibs after fermentation is complete.

Halfway through the boil and realized that there is no crystal malt in the grist this time. I made up the missing pound by subbing a few extra ounces of the base malts (two row, Munich and Vienna) and my preboil gravity was exactly the same as prior at 1.045. I hope my OG will be 1.054 or so.

Made my epic IPA on Tuesday night.... 10G package volume, 1.060, 30lbs of grain, 2lbs of hops.

It was almost at final gravity on Saturday so i tried to rack it. The racking port was clogged, bottom port was almost clogged. Tried to back flush with CO2. Nothing.

I ended up cold crashing it (ugh), pressuring it, and got the cone to drop. I ended up having to dump 6 of the 12 gallons out of the fermenter in order to get it racked. So after all that mess and 5 hours of racking, i got 1 oxidized keg of beer.

Did a honey rye saison yesterday. Got great efficiency, nailed my mash ph, and the infamous 3711 took off fast and hard as expected. Then I had to mow the lawn, ugh...

I got my WLP566 starter for my next weekend brew going. Brother-in-law and I will be cobrewing. Not sure what he is making. I'm making a saison with a bit of rye in it. Should be interesting. No honey, though @BrewMan13, but I will be using candi sugar for the first time.

I made some sort of ale; not sure where it falls in style guide, but I've had the Simpsons malt a while and wanted to use it up.
Maybe English Golden Ale?

10# Simpsons golden promise pale,
10# Briess pilsen,

I Oz Citra , FW 13.4aa
1 Oz us Goldings, Boil 5aa
1 Oz Mosaic, leaf, post whirlpool. 10.4aa

Safeale 05.

Estimated aa around 38, SG 1.054, which should land me around 6 percent ABV,

Went pretty smooth, I am pleased with how quickly the new electric element I added to my HLT heats process water. Now to add one to my BK, end trips to propane store.

I wanted to this weekend but my supplies didn't show up

*VENT*
Placed an order with Hop Hero on 7/25 and no shipping info ever sent. Contacted them today and suddenly there is shipping info in my email
Placed and order with MoreBeer Sunday night and never received shipping info. Contacted them today and was told 1 item was out of stock in this warehouse but it would be shipped from the other. Now have shipping info
No explanations as to why it took so long to ship my orders
*/VENT*

Used them both before and had great dealings.

Well hop Hero came through with a surprise

An extra pound of brewers gold hops shoved in the package!
IMG_1533592100.230981.jpg

Just started the pump to run the strike in for Warm Fermented Lager #5. Going back to 34/70 for the yeast on this one, and will bitter/flavor with the Crystal hops I got for free from Hops Direct. Turned in my Washington State Fair entries this morning, a quick stop at my favorite LHBS nearby, and a nice brew afternoon in the making. Finally bought myself a nice big hop basket to get away from using paint strainer bags, they are a beotch with pellets if you use a lot of them (and I DO).

Just got some red-x malt today. Never heard of it, but it sounds good, so why not. My weekend is Tuesday/Wednesday, so I still have a few days to figure out my hope schedule. Gonna make an amber ale.

Pitched the yeast (Nottingham) about an hour and a half ago. BeerSmith predicted 1.040 pre-boil and 1.050 OG. I ended up at 1.038 and 1.048.

This was a recipe I put together to use up some leftover ingredients. I think it will be an easy drinking, +/- 5% summer beer.

Taking it easy after a hot California afternoon... Doing an extract grapefruit sculpin... Drinking some home brew lemon shandy... And about to light up a stogie... Life is just fine!

Contemplating another "use up some odd grains ale". The batch I brewed last week is spunding away nicely in kegs after 5 days in primary, promising flavor too. Was afraid I let it work too long to fully spund, gravity in mid teens when I racked, but they are up to 35PSI and has off gassed some too.

I have an older 10# of "Irish stout" base malt, which is just a pale two row of some sort, probably add another 10 of pilsner, staying away from adjuncts for a while to change pace from all the CAP I brewed this winter (though it is mighty good). Good chance of T storms though & still brewing outside, should decide soon...like to get an early start.

Mashed in at 930 AM, bring on the rain!

Last edited:
I'm brewing a chocolate oatmeal stout this afternoon, will also be trying out my new temp controlled fridge.

First saison. Great day with a few friends and a flawless brew. If temps are maintained correctly, this should work out really well.

Mosaic pale ale this morning and I just decided that I’ll do a Briess Pale Ale Malt/Willamette SMASH next weekend because why not?

Two weekends in a row I brewed. Did a NEIPA yesterday and all I had was a 5.5 gallon carboy to cram in 5 gallons. After 12 hours it's already blowing out this morning. I expect a real treat when I get home tonight!
20180813_062256.jpeg

Trying my first BIAB this weekend. I've been finding AG a bit difficult in my small apartment, specifically cleaning equipment. So I thought I'd give BIAB a try.

For once have nothing planned on a Saturday, so planning a super dank IPA for tomorrow. Pipeline is relatively full, but the current IPA is delicious and will be gone soon so need another one. Don't really need to brew but want to. Sunday will be full of work at both jobs so tomorrow is for ME.

Just finished an all-grain Bavarian hefeweizen to introduce my cousin to homebrewing. My first brew in about 3 years due to work travel. Went extremely smooth: expected OG 1.052 got 1.053, no stuck sparge, hit my times and temps perfectly, got my ferm chamber up and running.

But I believe no brew day can go without at least a single screw up. 4.5 gallons in the carboy, I readjust my plate chiller causing my kettle to come crashing down, spilling about a gallon of wort. Oh well.

Back