Chloramine Information

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtheUKbrewer2

Reaction score
My water supply company tell me that chloramine (apparently a group of compounds) is defined as total chlorine minus free chlorine - 0.52 mg/L in my case.

On the assumption that my campden tablets are sodium metabisulhite and that each tablet contains 440 mg of sod metab. I need approx 1/10 of a tablet per 27 litres of water.

I have been adding half a tablet.

Their answer to my query gave a reference to a paper by A J De Lange, who I think is a member of this forum.

What is your question? Are you worried about adding too much of a tablet? Do you have off flavors from the sodium? Unlikely from an extra 4/10 of a tablet of Campden.

I generally use 1/2 tablet in mash and 1/2 tablet in sparge. I *could* go lower, but it's pretty easy to split a tablet in half, and I'd rather err on the side of having used a little too much, than a little too little. For small batches I cut that in half.

not a question - I thought people would find it useful information - I have no off flavours with 1/2 tablet per 27 litres - homercidal - what made you treat the water "later" in the process ?

not a question - I thought people would find it useful information - I have no off flavours with 1/2 tablet per 27 litres - homercidal - what made you treat the water "later" in the process ?

I just find it easier to crumble it up into the HLT when I add other salts. I could add it to the 5 gallon jugs I fill from the RO machine at the store, but I find it more convenient this way.

I generally use 1/2 tablet in mash and 1/2 tablet in sparge. I *could* go lower, but it's pretty easy to split a tablet in half, and I'd rather err on the side of having used a little too much, than a little too little. For small batches I cut that in half.

Homercidal and Yooper shared the use of campden with me back some time ago, and I have adapted their suggestions as follows:

1/2 campden tab in 7.5G strike water for a 5.5G BIAB batch is basically non-detectable in the end product, and can potentially save you from making a bad beer containing detectable levels of chloramines. I crush 1/2 tab to add in when I make my brewing salts adjustment pak . I fill my kettle and add the dry additions (plus lactic) and stir well, leaving kettle to sit open while I mill my grains. Consider campden a very inexpensive insurance policy toward making stellar beers.

Back