Three Floyds Dreadnaught

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJR

Reaction score
Merry Christmas Everyone!

I had the opportunity to sample the awesome IIPA from 3Fs in Munster, IN, and I'm in love! But not with the price. At $8.97 for a bomber, I'm gonna go broke!

Anyway, I found this recipe for a clone. Any thoughts/critiques? My only concern is I don't think my LHBS carries Melanoidin, but I can get that online. I read all about the decoction mash, but frankly, I don't want to mess with it.

Let me know what you think:

All Grain Recipe - Three Floyds Dreadnaught ::: 1.095/1.030 (5.5 Gal)
Grain Bill (75% Efficiency assumed)

18 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1.25 lbs. - Melanoidin Malt
Hop Schedule (100 IBU)

1 oz. - Simcoe (60 min.)
3/4 oz. - Warrior (60 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (30 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (45 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (30 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (flameout)
1 oz. - Cascade (20 min.)
2 oz. - Cascade (Dry Hop)
Yeast

White Labs English Ale (WLP002) - 1800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 152° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 65° to 68°

Just noticed there are 2 Centennial additions at 30 minutes. Changed the Centennial to 1/2 oz. at 60, 40, 20 minutes and flameout. Comes up with 98.5 IBU.

Just noticed there are 2 Centennial additions at 30 minutes. Changed the Centennial to 1/2 oz. at 60, 40, 20 minutes and flameout. Comes up with 98.5 IBU.

I've been eyeing this recipe for the past couple of months now and I've always been debating with myself where the second Centennial addition really goes. Posted here: http://www.brew365.com/beer_three_floyds_dreadnaught.php. I'm thinking it goes anywhere between 5 and 15 with my money being on 15.

Edit: entered these numbers in with the 15 minute addition and got 154.6 IBU's. Changing the Centennial to 60 instead of 15 made it 158.8 IBU's. Both of those are well over 98.5 IBU's. Makes me wonder how the hell our IBU calculations are so different.

Edit 2: nevermind, I entered in 3/4ths on the calculator instead of 0.75 and it must have calculated it as 3 or 4 oz. I get 78.9 when Centennial is at 60 and 74.7 when it is at 15. Since the 60 addition is closer to 100, I'd go with that.

I made the alpha king from brew 365. All I can say is Ahhhhhhh!
Not only the best beer I have ever made. It is one of the best I have had. I am on my 4th pint as I type
I will be brewing the big D on new years day

Merry Christmas to me

is dreadnaught not as hoppy as alpha king? The brew365 alpha king has 6oz hops, the dreadnaught IIPA has 6.75oz?

is dreadnaught not as hoppy as alpha king? The brew365 alpha king has 6oz hops, the dreadnaught IIPA has 6.75oz?

Looks like the Alpha King recipe has later hop additions. It's listed at 64 IBU, with Dreadnaught coming in at 100. I've had both, and Dreadnaught is definitely hoppier, but with a great malt backbone.

Fact is, I haven't tried a 3F beer that I don't like. There are some styles I like more than others, but they're all awesome brews.

Oh, by the way, my LHBS DOES carry Melanoidin. A quick email with the proprieter this morning gave me the good news! Thanks Bob!

I made a test batch of this recipe and it was terrible in my opinion. Very high gravity triple IPA that is too sweet for me. The hops kick it up too much and the beer never carbed. Thankfully it was only a test batch. I've had the real Drednaught on tap and this recipe wasn't even close, it was bad. I'd stay away if I were you. I brewed the Alpha King recipe on brew365 and it is very good, try that one. You won't be disappointed. Not quite AK, but very close and a great beer. I made it for the birth of my new son and gave it out. Everyone loved it.

Harkin: thanks for letting us know. I ordered 1.25 lbs. of Melanoidin Malt and Simcoe hops for this recipe a while back. I've also got chinook, cascade, centennial, and willamette hops on hand. Any suggested recipes to use the melanoidin and simcoe (doesn't have to be hop-heavy or a pale ale/IPA) with instead of this one?

You are pretty close to Pliny the Elder with the hops you have. I would brew that if you haven't already, the clone recipe is the best beer I have brewed ever, but I am a hop head.

You are pretty close to Pliny the Elder with the hops you have. I would brew that if you haven't already, the clone recipe is the best beer I have brewed ever, but I am a hop head.

Which specific recipe did you have in mind?

I'm very new to brewing and am a bit confused by the hop additions in regards to the order listed...

the 60 min makes sense...
then it has Centennial at 30, 60, and 30...wouldn't it just be a 1/2 oz at 60 and 1oz at 30? then cascade at 20, then centennial again at flameout, then dryhopped w/cascade?

like i said, i'm VERY much a beginner, but i absolutely love the dreadnaught and want to give it a go at some point

Back