Partial Mash Temperature Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dipflop

Reaction score
The last couple partial mashes I had a hard time getting a temperature reading. I use one quart of water per pound of grain. I throw a floating thermometer into the pot with the mash and there isnt enough water to get a good reading. When I try to get a reading from a lab themometer it changes depending on where I put it.

What would be the effects of using more water in the mash or is there a better way to go about getting a temp reading.

Thanks and Cheers!

1qt per pound of grain is a little on the thick side. 1.25-1.3qt is a little more typical.

it sounds like you just need the right kind of thermometer for the job. something that doesn't need to be inserted too deep to get a good reading.

I like instant read kitchen thermometers, like what the food service industry uses.

the lab thermo changes because water often is not a consistent temperature. if you read up on fluid thermodynamics it'll shed some light as to why water temperatures get stratified.

Stir the grain well just before the reading (burner off). The temp should be the same anywhere in the mash.

WBC hit it on the head. I broke my glass thermo while using it to stir 7 pounds of grain. Now i use a big wooden spoon to stir for a good 20 seconds before the instant read thermo his the mash. works like a charm.

and the guy at my LHBS said not to worry about the glass shards, they'll all settle down in the primary. haven't cut my throat yet :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back