Imperial Red Ale Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastside Brewer

Reaction score
I really want to try and make an imperial Red Ale for the fall or early winter. I have tried a few commercial beers like Lagunitas 13th Anniversary Ale and liked it alot. Anybody brew something like this? Recipes?

Eastside

I'm not sure about Imperial Red, but I've done a few batches lately that could be considered to be Reds.
My latest in secondary was as follows:
6# Pale
2# Munich
.5 # Crystal
1 oz Chocolate Malt

Mashed at 148 until it passed an iodine test.
Pulled out a third, brought it to a boil and mixed it back in before sparging (that step is the difference between 60% and 85% yield off my grain).
Sparged with 190 degree water (it cools down in the mash and over the 45 min or so it takes to wash the grain) until the runoff had minimal sweetness. Started the boil with 6.5 gallons.

1 oz Challenger 60 min
1 oz Kent Golding 10 min

Wyest London Ale yeast recycled from a previous batch.

Intial S.G. 1.038

With that gravity I'd hardly call it Imperial, but it's a good Red to enjoy when you want to drink on a hot day. Light and malty without being too heavy, hoppy or bitter, and of course a nice red color from the chocolate and crystal malts.

Any comments and suggestions on this recipe would be greatly appreciated. This is an Imperial Red that I came up with. Based off the northern brewer irish red kit, I added 1 lbs of grain to steep, 3.13 lbs of LME, a yeast nutrient, and 1 Lbs of candi sugar to get the higher alcohol. I also doubled the hops bill to compensate. What do you think?

1lb briess caramel 40l
.5lb dingemans caramel pils
.25lb briess special roast
.125lb dingemans buscuit
.125lb english choclate malt, all steeped at 155F for 20-30mins

9.13 lbs Gold malt syrup

1oz willamette, 60 mins
1oz goldings, 60mins, 30 mins
1oz centennials, 30 mins, 15 mins
1oz cascade, 10 mins, 5 mins
1lb candi sugar, 15 mins
yeast nutrient, 15 mins