Dumb Dumb hotels, removed the bottle openers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
30 yrs ago every hotel room had a bottle opener bolted to the door or wall somewhere. Haven't seen this in a long time. Now, I'm sure the maintenance staff wonders how the edges of furniture, kitchenette counters, lamps, etc. are getting nicked. Duh.

I'm in St. Louis having a Schlafly Pale Ale. Nice. I wonder what hops they use in this, doesn't taste like cascade. Slight peachiness there.

Appearance: Amber red, bright
Process: Classic English
Hops: East Kent Goldings, Northdown, Pilgrim (UK)
Malts: 2-row and caramel malted barley
Yeast: London Ale
OG: 11.2
SRM: 13.5

30 yrs ago every hotel room had a bottle opener bolted to the door or wall somewhere. Haven't seen this in a long time. Now, I'm sure the maintenance staff wonders how the edges of furniture, kitchenette counters, lamps, etc. are getting nicked. Duh.

I'm in St. Louis having a Schlafly Pale Ale. Nice. I wonder what hops they use in this, doesn't taste like cascade. Slight peachiness there.

So what did you use to open your beer? :D

every hotel/motel room has a built in bottle opener

6.jpg

I always carry either a bottle opener, or a Bic lighter, just for such an occasion.

So what did you use to open your beer? :D

Closet rack had a metal hook on it. Bam, worked twice perfectly. I can't bring myself to ding furniture (any more; I have in the past)

every hotel/motel room has a built in bottle opener

I broke a bottle doing that once. It does fit in there pretty nicely.

Yeah, I've noticed the lack of bolted down openers.

I can get my car key to work.

Stupid rental has big round plastic key.

I always carry either a bottle opener, or a Bic lighter, just for such an occasion.

I used to be pretty good with the disposable lighter. Back when I smoked.

At least most still have decent scotch glass sets:

1048210.jpg

Naw, this client booked me at a Fairfield Inn. Small plastic cups, individually wrapped single-serving style.

Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends. :D

I also ate a big bag of these. I thought I liked them, but after killing the bag I'm not so sure anymore.

smartfood_08192010232306.jpg

You got drunk and ate a big bag of those. How else would you see a bag of pre popped popcorn, probably at a gas station, jammed on the shelf with 20 other bags of pre popped popcorn of various "flavors" and think it was a good idea? :drunk: is how.

You got drunk and ate a big bag of those. How else would you see a bag of pre popped popcorn, probably at a gas station, jammed on the shelf with 20 other bags of pre popped popcorn of various "flavors" and think it was a good idea? :drunk: is how.

Haha. I can see your logic, and I won't defend my action, but I was stone sober when I bought them, and as I ate them.

I've spent that last 2 hours washing the taste out of my mouth with the Schlafly's. It's working.

Dollar Bill.

Amaze your friends with your alcoholic prowess (Cause when they see someone desperate enough to try and open a bottle of beer with a dollar bill, they will KNOW you're an alky!)

Dollar Bill.

Amaze your friends with your alcoholic prowess (Cause when they see someone desperate enough to try and open a bottle of beer with a dollar bill, they will KNOW you're an alky!)

I have done it with a sheet of paper but never a bill before.

As long as I have more than one capped bottle, I open one beer with another capped beer.

When I get down to the last beer, it's a reminder to go get more!

This is one I've been carrying for about 10 years (the grunge kinda speaks for itself). I figure they would charge $50 for it now. "Here is your $10 beer sir,...oh, you want it opened?!"

download.jpg

The easy solution is to carry a corkscrew/bottle opener in your suitcase!

I do a lot of 1 and 2 day trips. No checked luggage, and I'm afraid a corkscrew in my backpack might get me some attention in the security line.

Oh, and does anyone else snicker at hotel check-in when the desk clerk describes their "continental" breakfast? I always want to say "which continent would that be from"? OJ from a machine, a basket of bagels, a microwave, all tucked into a former broom closet. Not really complaining, since I eat light and am usually in a hurry in the AM anyway.

I keep a small bottle opener on my car keys for this specific reason. I can't tell you how many hotel room desks or dresser draw handles I've scuffed or scratched up. In my college days I had a belt buckle with a hidden bottle opener. So awesome.

I used to have a Bells Two Hearted "Key" opened on my keychain, but I gave it away. I try and remember to wear my "Ring Thing" when I'm going somewhere where I expect to be opening craft beer. It normally sits in my Jeep just in case I go somewhere and they don't want the edge of the table chipped up... ;)

I think THink Geek also has a nice credit card opener. I KNOW they have one shaped like the USS (Starship) Enterprise.

Back