First lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheepdawgg

Reaction score
Started my first lambic about a month ago. 1/3 wheat and 2/3 American 2 row pils. Mashed about 155. I fermented between 75 and 80 degrees with wyeast roselare blend. A week into it I added 1/2 lb of maltodextrin then two days later it formed a pellicle and started getting a little tart. Now it's perfectly acidic but I'm worried that I have it too warm. I've heard that the acidity goes down a bit over the long haul but this is my first attempt. When does lacto generally start making an impact? Is it going to become unbearably sour due to the favorable lacto temp? Should I bottle it and call it a simple sour? Please guide me oh wise ones:)

Every ferment is different so there isn't a definitive answer to your question. But yea it can start to get sour quickly sometimes. But you really have to be patient with it, your beer will go through phases so taste and take gravity readings periodically take tasting notes as you go along it's really interesting to go back and read your notes from all the different stages.

I think the earliest I have tasted a sour is at about 4 months. Usually they have some slight sourness to them, but not much. Lacto and Pedio don't really have a large enough population initially to have much impact on the flavor, taking up to a year to get to their maximum population. Is it lactic acid, or acetic acid (vinegar) that you are tasting?

Some acetic acid is good if not a dominant flavor. The Brett and the lactic acid will help balance the beer, but you need to leave it for at least a year for them to fully develop.

Back