Cleaning and sanitizing plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmario47

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good method on cleaning a plate chiller? Right now I just flush it with hot water and pbw. Does anyone recommend storing it with pbw in it or would that encourage oxidation of the metal in the chiller. Thanks

After back flushing w Oxiclean, I've been storing mine w/ Starsan in it & a silicon jumper hose cam locked to the fittings

-d

I don't understand the concept of storing metal in a solution. PBW is caustic, Starsan is acid. Both react with metal. I simply backflush hot PBW through my plate chiller followed by an equally hot rinse. Then a pressure backflush with hot tap water. I then drain it and let it air dry. I soak it in starsan during the boil, and then pump boiling hot wort through it for 15 minutes. I treat it as every other metal piece on my brewery. I think the key is to backflush as soon as possible.

I back flush with the garden hose right after brewing. If you didn't let anything dry up in there, then it will flush out clean. I then drain it for storage until the next brew day. On brew day, I recirc boiling wort through it for the last 10 minutes of the boil.

About every 4 - 6 brews, I run PBW through it. I've never had an issue doing it this way.

Back