Boston Ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
Just did an all grain boston ale clone

10 lbs. 2-row
1 lbs. crystal 60

1.5 oz. spalt pellets(60 min.)
1/2 oz. east kent gold pellets(30 min.)
1/2 oz. east kent gold pellets(10 min.)
1 oz. fuggles plugs (0 min.)

east coast ale yeast
1 tsp. gypsum
1 tsp. irish moss

The recipe I got did not have the OG listed I boiled 8 gallons down to around 6 gallons and my og was 1.052 while this is okay is it okay for this brew my partial mash version also did not have an og but the gravity was 1.062. I'm sure it will taste okay but on the web site Sam Adams say the gravity is

Original Gravity 13.2 degrees plato/1.0148 sg what the heck is that about? Am I close. Thanks

voodoochild7 said:
Just did an all grain boston ale clone I'm sure it will taste okay but on the web site Sam Adams say the gravity is[/FONT][/COLOR]

Original Gravity 13.2 degrees plato/1.0148 sg what the heck is that about? Am I close. Thanks

i read that as 1.048, but 13.2 plato is 1.053 (13.2x4=52.8) so youll be allright.
they also say the ibu's are 33, but when i drink that beer its seems more like 40. My saba clone was around 35 ibu's and was not as bitter as their supposedly 33 ibu'er. They also say they dry hop, but it doesnt seem like it to me. It couldnt hurt i geuss to throw in a half oz. of either ek gold or fuggle in the secondary. But that 1 oz. fuggle will simulate a dry hop sort of, kind of, maybe.

I read somewhere that they dry hop with mittlefrueh.
Let us know how close you get. I've had the Boston ale once or twice, but can't seem to find it any more.

Back