Bel-Gin Strong - crush Juniper berries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patd

Reaction score
I just started the Bel-Gin Strong kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop. The Juniper and Coriander are all together in a bag, with 2/3 addition of both at the start of boil, and the remainder at the end. I know I need to crush the Coriander, but do I crush the Juniper as well?

I've got 60 minutes to figure it out while it's in the mash

I say yes, although I've never used juniper berries. Had a beer at a very small brewery in Denmark that used juniper (it was a summer ale) and it was delicious. Crushing the berries would release essential oils that would provide flavor and aroma, I think.

Thanks! I emailed BBS and they got back to me saying crushed was correct, so I'm good. Unfortunately I broke my hydrometer while getting the sanitizer ready, so not going to know my SG for my first all grain, boo.

following

I just cut a 1gal ziploc bag full of unknown variety juniper berries and stems. Interested in hearing your results.

Back