Hallertau Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hambone

Reaction score
I was recently given a sh*t load of Hallertau Hops from a rugby buddy that homebrews. So far, I've only brewed up a German Altbier which didn't use much of the hops. Does anyone know any good recipes that I could make with these hops? I heard that Sam Adams made an Imperial Pilsner using just Hallertau hops that was really good, but I haven't been able to find anything on it. Thanks in advance! :mug:

Mmmm noble hops. Good in just about anything for just about any purpose.

You can put it in just about any German beer (ale, lager, or hybrid) and be okay.

I think SA uses them in Boston lager as well. I use them in Hefeweizens. They are pretty versatile you can experiment and probably come up with good results.

They are good in American wheat beers as well. I believe they are used in Oberon with saaz for finishing.

Perhaps a Belgian Saison? One of my favorite styles...and uses a significant amount of hops due to the higher gravity and IBUs.

Hallertau is my go-to hop variety. I use them for all my German styles.

The smooth character works great in wheats.

Need to order another pound soon.

Pretty much all of the noble hops are interchangeable with all traditional European styles.

It just means the brew won't be 100% traditional. So brew a bunch of different stuff like a madman and see what you like.

Any American or continental European style ale or lager will work well with hallertauer hops. You typically don't find them in British style ales.

I've seen recipes for both Porters and Stouts that use 1/2oz of Hallertauer in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

I've had a Hallertau Pale ale and it was pretty darn good. Could have used a bit more hops, but still good.
tom
ps by more hops I mean more Hallertau, not other varieties

Back