Extract IPA recipe, what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forces

Reaction score
So far I have brewed about 5 batches of what I hoped would turn out to be a decent IPA, and all have been slightly off; either from using too much specialty grains (too dark), over shooting the OG, or over-hopping at 60 minutes, etc.
The hops I currently have at my disposal are; Centennial, Northern Brewer, Cascade, and Chinook.
I am shooting for about 10-12 SRM, about 1.070 OG, 1.010-15 FG with a very pronounced citrusy Hop Aroma. This recipe came out to 1.072 OG and 68.5 IBU on beer calculus. I am thinking that the 40L might make this beer a little darker than I want, but I'm not positive.

Base extract:
8 lb Alexanders Pale Extract
2 lb Briess Golden DME

Specialty Grain:
1lb Crystal 40L
4 oz Rye

Hop Sched.
2 oz Centennial @ 60 min
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 30 min
2 oz Centennial @ 10 min
1 oz Cascade @ 2 min
2 oz Centenial @ 7 days Dry Hop

Yeast: WLP001 California Ale yeast w/ 3 day-1 liter starter

Seems like an awful lot of bittering hops to me, but that is what beer calculus dictated that I need for 68 IBUs. What do you think?

Damn. I just realized that there is an extremely similar thread about 2/3rds of a page down. Oops.

THe recipe looks awesome, you know what I would do? Ditch the northern brewer. I think they will be completely lost behind all the the other hops....they will only bring bitterness to the party.

Also why not use the bittering power of chinook at 60 and save the centenial for aroma and flavor some other time?

A good outline for a great AIPA, is take take a good pale ale recipe..add an extra pound of extract or two and add enough late hop additions to get the IBUS u need.

Good call on the Chinook. I was saving it to make a Rogue Old Crustacean wine clone, but that might be a ways off. Replaced. I'd like to try adding some sort of adjunct into the boil, but something that will contribute flavor, not JUST fermentables. Anyone ever tried Apricot in a Rye IPA?

I just drank one of these tonight...very tasty.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/peach-wheat-india-ale-150159/

I should also let you know that I have found artisianal unpastuerized honey added at flameout to really, really add a nice aroma and flavor to an IPA.

Either way, I would reccomend at least 5 weeks in the bottle before tasting...it seems that IPA takes a while for the flavors to mellow and blend.....they will be super bitter when green.

My favorite extract brew I ever made back in the day was a honey IPA with columbus, cascade and northern brewer.

6.6 pounds light LME
1 pound amber DME
1 pound caramel 60
1 oz columbus at 60
1 oz cascade at 30
1 oz cascade at 10 minutes
1 oz northern brewer dry hop.
nottingham yeast

I got lucky with this one...the northern brewer aroma somehow works amazingly well with honey. It took a few months to really get good in the bottle.

Back