I don't want to drink my homebrew....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
ok, i started in this bottomless pit of a hoby in February, so eager to drink my own beer, that i was opening bottles of my first brew (brown ale) after 10 days in the bottle.

Fast Forward 6 months. I've done 11 batches, I've got 2 full batches bottled for long term aging, and 3 batches just bottled less than a month, and 2 batches in the primaries.

My second brown ale, bottled 7/11, is the ripest beer i have in the closet right now, but i don't want to drink it. After noticing how spectacular the same beer was after 6 months, i just don't want to settle for month and a half old beer.

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know what to do, i think i'm gonna have to start buying store brew for a while till i can get my pipeline properly aged...

I like to set aside a 6 pack from every batch for sampling later. That way you can find the sweet spot and know when to start drinking the next time you brew it

:( Ha all my beers are still in ferm stage. My bottles are running low.

Brew a Wizen or Wit, they take no conditioning. My Dunkelwizen (click my recipes) tastes best after only 10 days of fermentation and time to carbonate (i keg)

I like to set aside a 6 pack from every batch for sampling later. That way you can find the sweet spot and know when to start drinking the next time you brew it

I do this exact same thing! Once I find the sweet spot I mark my calendars and brew accordingly...

-Tripod

That happens quite a lot, having a gap in the pipeline because you know a beer's not ready...or even you have a full pipeline of a couple beers, all ready in your fridge...and you are just not in the mood for those styles.

I still buy commercial beer...maybe even a 6 or a few bottles or more a week....There are times when I just want something different. Or want to try a different style....Or want to try difference commercial examples of a style I am interested in.

One of the coolest things I found is that one of the beerstores near me has a cooler for mixed sixers for 9.99. ANd you never know what will be in there...I have found some really rare or expensive beers in there (the owner told me that if the cardboard sixpack is damaged or a bottle gets dropped he just puts the rest of them in the mixed cooler.) He's even had a couple bottles of Dragonmead Final ABsolution in there, and that normally sells for 15 bucks a 4 pack....

That is really how I discovered Belgian Wits. THere were a couple hoegaardens in the cooler one night, and I grabbed them along with several different IPA...

I look at buying beer as research for future brews, and to expand my beer horizons. And to stock up on bottles.

I always go with choice store bought till my pipeline catches up. Never an excuse for drinking green beer.

I think i'll put the necessary ingredients for Arkador's Dunkelweizen on my next ingredients order. And i went to the local -- well, not quite local, but nearest packages store with a good peer selection, and got a RJ Rockets variety pack and pack of North Coast Old Style Ale. All bottles i can re-use, and all cold and ready to drink.

I think with my next order, and the subsequent brewing to ensue i'll have enough done to keep a healthy pipe line. I think i'm probably just getting to the point in my brewing timeline where i can project how long brews will last, and how long I want them to age (atlesat for the repeat brews).

Thanks all

Back