Kitchenaid grind (pictures)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamziegler

Reaction score
Note: I have searched the forum and noted the numerous posts were people ask if a Kitchenaid grinder works to mill malt. It seem the overall answer is "probably not" or "don't bother since it costs so much" or "it will take to long"

The wife has a Kitchenaid with grinder attachment... cost is not an issue. I am looking for some feedback on some of my photos of actual results from the Kitchenaid grinder.

I picked up some grain (small partial grain batch) from the local home brew supply, and had them crush it. When I got home, I noticed that some of hardly looked crushed at all. I compared what I was given to: Evaluating the Crush - Home Brewing Wiki and I was no where close to having ground grains.

Here is the 'grind' I got from the HBS:
1_grain_grind.jpg

Here is after grind I ran it through the Kitchenaid:
2_grain_grind.jpg

Does this grind look usable in a mesh bag stove top partial grain batch? Would different pictures be help in this determination?

Thanks all!

I would go finer. I don't see any flour.

Would you describe them as chopped or crushed? You're wanting a crush... split open the hulls and then grind the starches inside up.

I would go finer. I don't see any flour.

Would you describe them as chopped or crushed? You're wanting a crush... split open the hulls and then grind the starches inside up.

There was a small amount of flour.... but I could definitely produce more. And if I had to describe it, I would say a combination of chopped and crushed. The Kitchenaid grinder is a plate grinder like a corona mill.

Doesnt even look like your HBS even did anything to that grain.

Yeah... that is kind of what I was thinking. I watched them put it though their mill... I had some chocolate malt that went through that looks crushed for sure.

In any case I only have 4.75 lbs of grains for this recipe... if I have to roll them by hand I will do so. If this Kitchenaid grinder will get me most of the the way there... just means less work.

I have a Kitchenaid grinder, and it shredded the husks too much. Your grind should look like it was just squeezed really tightly. The Kitchenaid will make it look like it was pulled apart in four different directions. If that makes any sense.

Try it if you like, but I can tell you from personal experience, attempting to lauter with 10 pounds of grain like that will turn your cooler into a five gallon cooler full of cement.

I have a Kitchenaid grinder, and it shredded the husks too much. Your grind should look like it was just squeezed really tightly. The Kitchenaid will make it look like it was pulled apart in four different directions. If that makes any sense.

Try it if you like, but I can tell you from personal experience, attempting to lauter with 10 pounds of grain like that will turn your cooler into a five gallon cooler full of cement.

The second picture is what I took after I ran it though the Kitchenaid. Is that comparable to your experience? You think I will have the same issues if I stove top bag it for a partial mash? (4.75 lbs of grain)

You should let you LHS know their grind is VERY VERY wrong. They should not tell customers that is ground grain. Just my opin...

My first grinder was a blender. It made a lot of flour, runoff was real slow, hazy beer, I still drank it. And I agree with the comment that your lhbs didn't do a very good job with their mill. Mills and grinders are two differnt things. A mill is used to make smaller chunks out of what you put in it. A grinder is to make flour out of what you put in it. They are built differently. A mill is parrallel rollers, normally knurled or corrugated. A grinder is normally two disks rotating opposite of each other. What is most appropriate for brewing is a mill. We want small chunks, not flour. In refence to hulls, grinders tend to shred hulls.

Your KA grinder will work though. Have at and good luck.

Just my .02

Follow up... just wanted to note that I have done a number of mini-mashes now with the grain that has been broken up in the kitchenaid. It does not take me long to do 5-10 lbs of grain. I leave the grind adjustment all the way open, and run it through multiple times if needed slowly closing the grind adjustment.

I would rather have a roller to smash the grain, but this has been working fine.

This is interesting to hear. We live near an outlet mall. The kitchen store there sells referb Kitchenaid stuff CHEAP. I may see what a grinder attachment costs. We already have the stand mixer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back