Head space?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stokems

Reaction score
I just made approx. 5 gallons of hard cider but now that the yeast is in and I noticed that there is probably 5 inches of head space in the carboy. Is this gonna be enough? I used an ale yeast. :eek:

If you're talking about 5" from the very top of the carboy neck to the cider level, then it's pretty minimal. Have a blow off tube ready. If you've got 5" from the base of the neck to the top of the liquid, things will be just fine.

I had a similar amount of head space in my last cider batch and was also worried. I added some anti-foaming agent that I picked up at my LHBS. It kept the foaming down to a minimum. Yuri is right though add a blow-off just in case.

thanks all. I just got home and its been about 3or 4 hours and it is kruasinf but it doesn't look to powerful yet. I think it'll be alright.

Oh my God! Its been 24 hours or so and it smells like a campground shower! YUK! I'm sure that the cider must have had some bugs or something. I washed w/ 5 star and was as careful as possible, but to no avail. Sulpher is pretty gross smelling.

Back