Apple Beer Carbonation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taelmore

Reaction score
I have an Apple beer in my secondary and the gravity is at1.000. Thier seems to be some bubbles coming up and making foam at the top, and when I put it in my beaker to take a hydro reading you could see the bubbles, Like carbonation in it? Is that carbonation? And if I add the 3/4 cup sugar and bottle is will this add to much carbonation and make the dredded beer bomb or will I be ok. :rockin:

I always do sugar by weight and not volume. That way you knw how much you're getting exactly. If the sugar is packed at all, it will weight more and you could overcarbonate.

As for the bubble you're seeing, those are co2 bubbles, but they should not make a difference in your carbonation levels once bottled. It is just a byproduct of the yeast doing their work.

ok, I am new to this so how would you measure the weight of sugar and figure out how much to put in. Should it be 3/4 lbs. or 3/4 cup...?

Catch me if i am wrong, but ain't 3/4 cup 6 oz? And 3/4 lbs would be 12 oz? Just use a scale, and measure out 6 oz's. But that kinda sounds high. What kinda recipe is it?

it was an extract kit and it calls for 1 tsb per 750 ml, So Im just at a little losst.

if you don't have a scale then 3/4 cups should be good. If you do have a scale, 5 oz is the normal amount, but this can vary depending on style, and how much carbonation you want.

if it's still bubbling, it's likely not done. Make sure the hydro reading is stable multiple days in a row.

Back