Recipie to toss on top of Wyeast 1098 Brit Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoom233

Reaction score
I'm looking for a suitable recipe to reuse the Wyeast 1098 Brit Ale that I am brewing with now. I'm doing a Nut Brown at the moment and the Brit Ale was the yeast that my LHBS gave me when I asked for a liquid. Reading Wyeast's page it seems this wasn't the best bet but I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

So back to the recipe. I'd like to find something that isn't really biter but other than that I'm pretty open. A stout would be nice if there is one that would turn out well with this yeast. I'd also like to try my hand at steeping some grains or something along with the extract (Oh did I mention I want an extract recipe?). And last but not least I don't want a laundry list of stuff that'll cost me an arm and a leg. Too much to ask? I think not but I'll leave it up to you fine friendly brewers with more experience than I to let me know what to try.

Thanks,
Bryan

Here's a stout:

Oatmeal Stout

7 lbs. Dark Malt Extract
2 lbs. Caramel 40°L Malt
1½ lbs. Caramel 20°L Malt

1 lb. 6 Row Malted Barley
1 lb. Black Roasted Barley
8 oz. Flaked Oats
8 oz. Dextrin Powder
¼ tsp. Gypsum
½ tsp. Calcium Chloride
1 tsp. Chalk
1 tsp. Irish Moss
½ oz. Columbus Hop Pellets (60
minutes) 30.00 IBU
½ oz. Northern Brewer Hops (30
minutes) 6.41 IBU
4/5 oz. Kent Goldings Hops (5
minutes) 3.03 IBU
¾ cup Corn Sugar for priming
1 pkg. #WLP028, #1968, or #1098 Yeast

OG: 1.076
IBU: 39.4

or a Porter:

Easy Porter

6⅔ lbs. Dark LME
2 oz. Northern Brewer 10 – 15 HBU Bittering hops.
1 oz. Fuggles, Goldings or Willamette Finishing Hops.
1 pkg. Ale Yeast or
1 pkg. Wyeast 1098 British Ale
1 pkg. Wyeast 1056 American Ale or
1 pkg. Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

In about 3 quarts of water add malt extract and bring to a boil.
Add Bittering hops and boil for 45 minutes.
Add finishing hops and boil 5 minutes.
Add with cold water in fermenter to yield 5 gallons.
Add yeast and ferment to completion.

Good luck,
Wild

The stout sounds great, are there directions to go with it? It'd be my first time of steeping anything or adding things like dextrin. Also do I remove the trub to a sanitized container and then clean and sanitize my fermenter and brew from there or just put the next batch right on top and hope for the best? I'm guessing the ferment will take off like a rocket with all that yeast, correct?

Thanks for the help,
Bryan

The oatmeal stout is a partial mash and here are some directions. If you have a bottling bucket, you can pick up a nylon bag that fits the bucket at your LHBS. Use those if you're working with a really limited budget like I was.

I have started my primary off by putting my cooled wort right on top of a primary yeast cake with success but I've found that its better to put it on top of a secondary if you don't use a hop bag or if your primary was over 10 days. Either way, yes the fermentation will take off like a rocket.

Good luck,
Wild

Back