New weyermann malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obliviousbrew

Reaction score
Hello I´ve search and found nothing about it:
The wholesaler I buy my grain from is carrying a new malt from weyermann.
special w 200 EBC... that´s all I know.
Does anybody seen this malt before? it is special b?
I´m clueless

never heard of it either. Its probably something close to the Fawcett pale chocolate malt. 200*L

I had dinner with the Weyermanns last week and the Special W came up in conversation. I hadn't even heard of the malt until discussing it with them. It's supposed to be extremely similar to Special B and can be used in it's place. I also spoke with a malt distributor and he said that they're getting a bit more raisin out of the Special W when compared to the Special B but otherwise they're the same.

that´s great to know i pick up a kilo of it to try but I haven´t yeat. After Reading what you said about it´s similarities with special b I migth be using it for an arrogant bastard clone. Let´s see what happens.

I'm supposed to be getting some samples in the near future. I'll post here once I have some results.

I had dinner with the Weyermanns last week and the Special W came up in conversation. I hadn't even heard of the malt until discussing it with them. It's supposed to be extremely similar to Special B and can be used in it's place. I also spoke with a malt distributor and he said that they're getting a bit more raisin out of the Special W when compared to the Special B but otherwise they're the same.

I spoke with a commercial micro brewer and got the same scoop. Have a sample but haven't gotten around to trying it.

Thread Necro

One of the only suppliers of commercial malts here in China just started carrying Special W (and roasted barley, finally!). I won't be able to get to it for a while, but I'd love a review if anyone here has actually used the stuff.

Thread Necro x10

Has anyone tried this malt? My lhbs carries it and was thinking of using a lb in a oatmeal stout to make a "oatmeal raisin stout"

Description: Weyermann[emoji768] Special W[emoji768] imparts strong raisin, dark fruit and bready flavor, and can be used in wide range of Belgian beer styles, as well as other styles looking to add hints of dark fruit.

I can also add that it's a bit more " roasty/toasty " and the " dark " flavours are more pronounced, although I don't like it as much as Special B.

I can also add that it's a bit more " roasty/toasty " and the " dark " flavours are more pronounced, although I don't like it as much as Special B.
Do you get a lot of raisin? Like I said was thinking of using a lb in 5 gallon for a oatmeal raisin cookie stout. Probably use some victory as well

Do you get a lot of raisin? Like I said was thinking of using a lb in 5 gallon for a oatmeal raisin cookie stout. Probably use some victory as well
I can personally only recall one recipe where I used much special W and it was very raisiny/stone fruity. Pretty sure it was closer to half a pound in an RIS, but the recipe is in the wind so I can't say for sure.

its much maltier than special B imo, big melanoidin. If you swapped 1 for 1 you'd probably be disappointed

Back