First time fly sparging...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger

Reaction score
and I got 84% efficiency. Problem is that I didn't have nearly the boil-off that I normally do. I ran 7.6 gallons into the keggle, boiled for 90, and still pulled 6 gallons out with about 3 quarts left. Oh well, at least the new brewery worked well.

Here it is in all it's backyardengineered glory:
P8130160.jpg

FWIW I think that the fly sparge was way easier than batch sparging. No lifting/stirring/mucking about inside the cooler, just crack the drain valve, and play with the inlet vlave in small increments until the level in the sight glass stays even. I put an oring around the tube that I slide to the right level for reference.

I think that my boiloff issues are due to the hot/humid weather today in Portland. Since I have an empty fermenter at the moment I'm running an american wheat through it tomorrow, and I was going to lower the boiloff a bit in BeerSmith.

If you are experiencing boil off issues with a poor rigorous boil, buy an adjustable high pressure regulator. I got a huge difference in the quality of the boil with one.

I don't think it was the flame. I was able to heat to boil fast, and I had it boiling very vigorously, more so than in the past. This was my first time using the keggle as well, and I can't believe how nice it is not to worry about boilover.

Back