Ranco To SSR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheese

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Do you know if and how I can connect a ranco temperature controller to a SSR?
The problem is that the ranco output is 110-220V and the SSR input signal should be low DC voltage.

You should be able to get a SSR that has an input high enough to work. I have one that has a 92-240 AC input.

Yes, AC controlled SSR will work. Or use a wall wart plugged into your ranco output and connect the DC output of the wall wart to the input of a DC controlled SSR. Not very elegant but it will work.

I assume you're asking because you want use the ranco to control something outside of its output rating and you already have a ranco and don't want to buy another more suitable controller.

Yes, AC controlled SSR will work. Or use a wall wart plugged into your ranco output and connect the DC output of the wall wart to the input of a DC controlled SSR. Not very elegant but it will work.

That solution crossed my mind but I wasn't sure if the wall wart could handle the switching.

I assume you're asking because you want use the ranco to control something outside of its output rating and you already have a ranco and don't want to buy another more suitable controller.

You're absolutely right,
I want to control an electric heating element of 2200W, 220V. so it should take 10A and the Ranco is rated for just 8A.

That solution crossed my mind but I wasn't sure if the wall wart could handle the switching.

You're absolutely right,
I want to control an electric heating element of 2200W, 220V. so it should take 10A and the Ranco is rated for just 8A.

The wallwart will work just fine. You don't need very much current to switch a SSR. Here is a thread where the user ordered the wrong type of PID. He bought one that had relay contacts instead of a dc output for a SSR. I recommended a wallwart and it worked like a charm: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/dang-i-installed-wrong-pid-again-help-126275/index3.html

Back