Question about keg conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
ok, so I kegged my dunkle weizen after two weeks in the primary(SG:1.051 FG:1.011) I force carbed it at 30 psi for a couple days in the fridge.

After tasting it I think it might still be young, and I was wondering if it will continue to condition in the fridge or if I need to pull it out of the fridge to warm it up and condition it.

how long should you leave it be? I recently got my keg setup and was wondering the same thing.

how long should you leave it be? I recently got my keg setup and was wondering the same thing.

I think from what I've read the best thing to do would be to purge it with co2, then put maybe 20 psi or so pressure on it before you take it off the gas. Then, let it condition the rest of the time at room temp.

After that I would probably force carb it, but again, this is just from my understanding of what I've read.

My question was, since I jumped the gun and force carbed before really researching the topic, if it would continue to condition in the fridge. But ideally, I think you want to let it condition at room temp.

Any more opinions? Will they condition in a fridge???

Here is what I do, I am sure my process is different than others.

I have 4 kegs in the keezer at a time, 2 serving, 2 cold conditioning. Then there are 4-6 more kegs in closet. When I fill a keg, I purge with CO2, put a little pressure on it, then stick it in the closet.
When a keg runs dry, I pull the faucet and line and clean it completely, sanitize, then hook it up to the next one in line that was cold conditioning. Then grab the next in line from the closet and put it in the keezer.
My kegs spend about 4-6 weeks in the closet, 2-4 weeks cold conditioning, and 2-4 weeks serving.
Basically, you are fine to let a keg condition just about anywhere, you just don't want it getting to hot, eg. the garage in June is probably not the best idea! ;)

*edit to add: all 4 kegs in the keezer are on gas, 4 gas lines, 2 serving lines.

I do a combination of things, but it's similiar to what enderwig does. Right now, I have one beer in secondary (dryhopping) that will be kegged today. It'll sit at room temperature for about another week before being chilled. It will carb up at room temperature, since I have an extra tank. Then, once it's chilled, it'll sit at least 48 hours before tapping.

In many beers, I skip the secondary but never skip enough time in the fermenter before kegging it. If it's a beer that is really good young, like a British mild, I'll still give it a couple of weeks in the fermenter and a week or so in the keg. If it's a beer that tastes better with a bit of aging, I'll give it three weeks or so in the primary, then keg it and leave it at room temperature until there is a spot in th kegerator. Usually 2-3 weeks in the keg before chilling it.

Most of my beers are about 6 weeks old when I stick them in the kegerator. The lager that's on tap now is much older, as it lagered all winter. (It's a maibock- I made it before Christmas).

Beer will still age in the fridge, but at a much slower rate. It ages better at room temperature. Green beer is still green beer, whether it's carbonated or not.

Yooper, this sounds like the method that I plan to use, do you use the "set it and wait" method with gas at room temp or sugar at room temp?? just curious

Any more opinions? Will they condition in a fridge???

In my experience, they do condition in the fridge, albeit slowly. My Dunkelweizen tasted much better after a month or so (I had gone 2weeks primary --> keg --> set and forget carbonation) - sadly when it was nearing the end of the keg.

Nowadays, I transfer to keg after primary, and then leave in my closet (~65-70F) for a week or more depending on the beer.

Back