Any other recent/to be new Dads?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're cute when they are little but before you know it they get big. My wife has always allowed me to brew as long as I planned it ahead of time, now I have to get approval from everybody. My daughter used to just want piggy back rides, now she want's me to teach her to drive.....

They are 11 and 14 now and they love to hang out with me on brew days even though my son would rather I took him mountain biking and my daughter would rather I took her to the mall....

I actually used the birth of my second child as a reason to start brewing. I had 2 weeks off so I tried my luck with brewing... It's been an awesome and very rewarding (yet expensive) hobby.

I found out I am going to be a Dad for the first time 3 weeks ago. It was planned, and I feel ready for it, but mentally I am constantly swinging back-and-forth between "Man, 9 months is a REALLY long time, I am ready to be a Dad NOW." and "OMG THERE IS NOT ENOUGH TIME. I need to wrap up my DIY projects, figure out where to relocate the brew stuff so we can have a nursery. MAKE A NURSERY. Babyproof everything. Schedule appointments, plan vacations, figure out daycare, figure out how our work schedules are going to be feasible."

We haven't told anyone yet either, so maybe it will equalize once the cat is out of the bag and I don't have to pretend that everything is normal. But enough about my weirdness, we're here for beer.

I have started to reduce consumption already, but that is mostly because I was probably going overboard (probably was averaging 5 beers a day everyday). I am a big guy (6-2, 235lbs) so I can handle it without getting losing control, but I have been putting on weight and want to be a healthy example for our wee-one, so I figure I should start now. Since finding out, I now take 2 days a week and drink nothing on those days, and when I do drink I limit myself to 2, 22oz bombers (or 4 12 oz bottles) most nights.

I had 3 brews planned to be done and ready to drink by mid-July, but with the news of our baby, I am scaling it back to save some money, and will instead probably only brew one or two batches, and no longer need to have them done by mid July (was going to share them at a family gathering, but really I have enough already in stock). My plan after the baby is here is to essentially supply 100% of my own beer, and to try and stick to a few favorite recipes to keep costs in check. No more buying 8 different specialty grains to compare slight differences in porter recipes. No more IIPA's with a pound of hops...

Luckily, I do stovetop BIAB, so a lot of the safety issues of brewing with infants around are moot (knock on wood). I brew almost exclusively in the early morning on weekends now...so I am getting the impression that is unlikely to continue. Night brewing sounds fine too though, and I have always been the kind of person that needs some alone time, so this could be a good way to take care of 2 wants/needs at the same time :ban:

Well...I really just wanted to vent/share...since I can't tell my Mom until Saturday and I have been driving myself crazy thinking about being a Dad. I can't wait for the day to come (Jan. 5due date, better not be any snowstorms...) but at the same time I feel like I will never be prepared enough once the day arrives.

Thanks HBT Parents. Time to start building my Year-1 Stockpile.

This cracked me up pretty good. I remember all those feelings... "let's do this!" and "oh crap, really!!"

The second kid came, and I kept telling my wife to "relax, we've got a pack-n-play and diapers, we're good" :mug: It's funny how easy a new baby seems when you have a rambunctious 2yo getting into EVERYTHING!!! :drunk:

Currently, it's been really busy, and I planned ahead to have a full kegerator for the month of May. Damn if my Blackberry Wheat wasn't a big hit. Now it's almost gone, and I need to get something brewed soon. Maybe this Sunday or Monday(memorial day). I have a RyePA that I want to get brewed....better check my hops supply and put in the brew day request with the boss. ;)

This cracked me up pretty good. I remember all those feelings... "let's do this!" and "oh crap, really!!"

The second kid came, and I kept telling my wife to "relax, we've got a pack-n-play and diapers, we're good" :mug: It's funny how easy a new baby seems when you have a rambunctious 2yo getting into EVERYTHING!!! :drunk:

Currently, it's been really busy, and I planned ahead to have a full kegerator for the month of May. Damn if my Blackberry Wheat wasn't a big hit. Now it's almost gone, and I need to get something brewed soon. Maybe this Sunday or Monday(memorial day). I have a RyePA that I want to get brewed....better check my hops supply and put in the brew day request with the boss. ;)

Hehe, yeah everytime I start to think I've got any possible surprises covered, I start to remember stuff my brother and I got into when we were growing up...

When my older brother was about 2 I think...he decided he could change his own diaper, and disposed of the poo-filled one by stuffing it inside my Mom's sewing machine...

When I was 3 he and I both got into a huge tomato-fight with some neighbor kids...probably 5-6 of us aged 3-8 grabbing tomatos off our neighbors plants and just chucking them at each other, smashing them in our hair...utter chaos...

When I was 4 I just bolted across 4 lanes of traffic, can't remember why for the life of me...somehow I made it to the other side but my parents (justifiably) freaked out...

When I was 12 or so I accidentally caught our backyard goldfish pond on fire, AND, kept it hidden for many many years...

Now I am forced to accept that I am screwed, and it is a question of when, not IF, serious risks will be taken by my spawn. But hey, I turned out okay, and SWMBO is awesome, so maybe I'll be the proud parent of a Hollywood stunt man or something.:rockin:

Due October 30th here!

Not finding out the sex either, and the wife is not going back to work after the baby is here... so my brewing cash may suffer, but i'll still brew every so often :mug:

Due October 30th here!

Not finding out the sex either, and the wife is not going back to work after the baby is here... so my brewing cash may suffer, but i'll still brew every so often :mug:

Congrats! You're a brave man. I HAD to know the sex, I'm too much of a planner.

Our little one started daycare this week, at 8 weeks. Man that was hard to drop her off yesterday! I had grown way too accustomed to having her and all her crazy baby noises around.

So far, I have not brewed since she's been here, but that's by my choice. I really wanted to make sure I was helping my Wife as much as possible and felt selfish for doing a brewday. I think I may get one in on Satuday though, so I'm stoked about that!

Baby due the 26 of next month. My son will be two the 16 of next month so we are hoping for her to at least not land on his birthday. My sister had triplets and my other sister had 2 kids five years apart on the same day. To all the best of luck to each and everyone parenting is a wonderful, fun, and a life changer that's for sure! CHEERS!!!

Third girl should arrive on the scene any day now.

4.5 yrs, 2.5 yrs and then the new one... I have started brewing beer and cleaning my guns both on a regular basis.

Little guy is 4.5 months now. Brewing definitely took a backseat for a while, but squeezed in a Wee Heavy when he was about 3 months old, which is when this picture was taken. Gonna have my brew buddy with me again for my next batch, hopefully this weekend if my shipments come in.

image-257604393.jpg

Here's a couple recent ones of my 7 month old daughter

eying mommy's beer and supervising the sparge for my Flanders Red

evie beer.jpg

evie supervising.jpg

Does being a Grandpa count? It's like doing it all over again, but they go home...I guess it isn't really like doing it over again:eek:
He turns 1 in September. I'm looking forward to him l being my brewing assistant.

521900_573967182643263_1735045057_n.jpg

Mine are 23 and 25, just spent 3 weeks in Europe with them and my wife, yes we drank plenty of Homebrew since my son in law in Italy brews as well. Love them when they are young, love them when they grow up, oh hell just love them

Rick

Here's my little buddy. He's almost a year now. Started brewing when he was born, so I guess I'm used to trying to slot some time in. Wife is great about taking care of him while I brew. Can't wait till he gets old enough to help out Daddy :)

Reid38.jpg

Also, forgot to mention...

i was setting up and heating up strike water in the kitchen and her Mom and Dad were coming over to hang out (her and her Mom were going to watch TV and her Dad was going to help me brew).
When they came over my Wife was in the restroom so i was playing entertainment for awhile and she came out and said "we need to talk....." so i went in the bedroom with her. she said "We're pregnant!" which was shocking, we'd only been trying a month!
so that day i had made a Wit (i know i know, it wont age well... ) and a whiskey porter and a vanilla porter.

Which after i found out everything and we told her parents, i had everyone add in something to each boil (hops, coriander, orange peel etc) so we're all in the brews... i have about a 1/2 case of each, they're gonna be sticking around for awhile.

Have my first human brew on it way and will be due in February!

SWMBO is laying the guilt down about not being able to drink my HB. So, I'm on a mission to make her a good brew for when she can drink.

Have my first human brew on it way and will be due in February!

SWMBO is laying the guilt down about not being able to drink my HB. So, I'm on a mission to make her a good brew for when she can drink.

I wouldn't be worried about having a snifter or chaser glass of homebrew once or twice a week; lots of good vitamins and stuff you can't get in a single, tastier package elsewhere.

:mug:

Just had a baby girl in April. She went to her first outdoor brew session last weekend. My neighbor and I brewed two batches together in the driveway while the kids and moms hung out. I got her a little Dark Horse Brewing Co. onesie to wear. Beer nerd dads...lol.

I have 2 Girls a 6 year old and a 2 year old and my first Boy is going to be here End of July Early August. I still Manage with All Grains in the Summer as we all like to be outside so why my wife plays with the girls in the yard I am in the garage brewing or firing up the smoker.

Here's my boy... 6 months old already!

In honor of James Gandolfini, here is his best Tony Soprano look:

Connor Soprano.jpg

And his usual happy self...

64474_10200677932089286_1419707946_n.jpg

Boy, has time flied. Just remembered this thread and thought I would post a pic of my little one. He has become quite the brew-assistant, or at least he is completely enamored with everything that daddy does! He even likes to taste test the flaked oats!

I've got one boy who just turned two, and a second baby coming at the end of may. I actually started brewing after #1 arrived, but I'm anticipating a severe drop in brew-days for a while after #2 arrives. All these dads may be interested in a thread on overnight mashing I found last week, sounds like a great way to really shorten up your brew-day (thus get more brew days by burning up less happy-wife capital). Mash in friday night before bed, seal your cooler up well, put some blankets around in, sparge and fire up the kettle sat AM when you get up. Brilliant!

Last time I posted in this thread my son was 5 months old. Now he's two and a half and we have a 7 month old girl. Brew time is extremely limited these days, but I manage to have 3 full kegs and another about to be filled, so it could be worse.

Got a 6 month old daughter (Who now owns a Riverhorse Brewing Co outfit). She's about to have her 2nd Brewday this weekend. She's there for moral support...and because someone needs to keep and eye on the yeast....

Back