Rain barrel drip irrigation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonos7

Reaction score
I want to set up a down spout rain barrel and use it to water my hops, I was planning on useing a drip set up but I'm worried that I wont have enough pressure. Has anyone set something like this up?
Thanks

I've done a variation. I have rain barrels attached to timers which are attached to soaker hoses. I had no issues with it working UNTIL the barrels clogged with leaves. So my problem was an issue of design.

I've learned from last years mistakes, I plan to fix the rain barrels- keep them clean- and I should have 'free water' system.

My first year with the rain barrel, I had it sitting on the patio, and didn't have enough pressure to effectively water my garden. The next year, I built a stand that lifts it up about 2 feet, and it works much better now.

Yes, I was going to say the same as above - elevate the barrel.

A soaker hose works (use a filter on the water coming out of the barrel), but if you need to water lots of area, look into "T-Tape" by John Deere.

Myself, I'm piecing together an automatic 5-zone rainwater/city water drip irrigation setup. Rainwater will be pressurized with a 600GPH/40psi pump. When the reservior's empty (530gal) it automatically switches to city water. Looking forward to being able to leave my garden unattended for more than a few days this summer.

I did one this year. Its on a slope so no need for elevation. I'm feeding a main trunk of 1/2" PEX then 1/4" rubber lines to each plant with adjustable drip heads.

Back