Drip Irrigation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMaltPoet

Reaction score
So I decided to install a drip irrigation system for my hops. I used the Blue Stripe system purchased at Home Depot. I think I spent under $75 for the whole thing. And I have about $35 worth of material that I need to return. So probably under $50 total spent when all is said and done.

IMG_4115.JPG

IMG_4117.JPG

IMG_4116.JPG

My biggest plants are probably bigger than 15 feet at this point. So they look like they are doing pretty well. Other then something that looks to be feeding on the leaves. I will probably spray next weekend if I can't control it naturally.

I read a guy's blog online about drip irrigation, he buries a gallon jug with holes all poked in it right near the plant, or several quart containers around the plant, and just keeps them topped up with water, so the water constantly and slowly releases through the bed. I can't think of anything cheaper than that.

The physics of it are such that excess water won't drain into the soil until the soil dries out to a point that water can come out of the blah blah blah... the guy isn't a hops expert, but his garden is pretty amazing.

Yeah I read the same thing I think. I could of done the same but I wanted it to look a little better. Astetics only and a bit of convenience as I have the system hooked up to a timer but not much more. It is really more about astetics to me I guess.

I'll be rigging something like this up in a couple weeks. It drives me nuts having my sprinkler water so much area that doesn't have hops growing in it...

Looks good!

I use drip on over 300 bines and it works great. The emitters i use are 1 gph. Just makesure you do not overwater. I found that abot 1 gal per day every other day does fine. A good source of supplies is dripdepot.com. Good prices and you can usually just buy what you need.

yup... I just bought Mister Landscaper from Lowes the other day, a huy was walking around and he happened to be a landscaper and a huge Microbrew fan and he saved me a lot of cash. Spent $20.00 on tiny hose, 1/2gal/hr drip heads, hose adapter and "T"s and I am good to go...

Back