Would YOU buy, drink a "craft style" beer from BMC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I playing beer pong or relaxing with the wife on the couch? That makes a world of difference in my choice.

I will have a really hard time paying top dollar for any of GI big beers now for sure. And no way would I ever drop $50 for a bottle of the Rare if they were under contract with AB like they are now. Just wouldn't sit right with me

I'd call it; as stated in the epilogue in "Ambitious Brew" - now is the most exciting time for beer drinkers in the US...

http://blog.oregonlive.com/thebeerhere/2011/03/nothing_but_good_news_for_us_c.html

Look at the numbers!

+1

I've bought craft/micro/imported beers in Detroit since I turned 21 in 1986, whether it was micro brews at Traffic Jam or imported beers at Ye olde tap room, or Union street, or even Double Diamond or or Guiness back in the day in Detroit, even sierra nevada when it first hit town and it's gotten better.

I see more and more craft beers in stores everyday. New ones, and regional ones that I've never seen before, so I just don't see these "hurdles" by the Evil BMC empire that folks claim are out there being so insurmountable.

I use Port Huron as an example, it's still relatively a small town (30,000) , but I've got two party stores in walking distance from downtown where I live, (including a buschemi's) that have amazing craft beer selections and they add more shelf space for micros nearly weekly. Then if I get in my car I have 2 more places in a 3 mile radius that have craft beers, one of them has 3 times the brands that buscemi's has. Plus I can walk to 1 brew pub, two "normal" bars and one coffeehouse that has craft beers on tap. And those are just the ones I know about. I pass by a ton of beerstores in PH everyday that I've never been it...they could have craft beers as well, that I just don't know. And like I said, that's just in Port Huron..not to mention all the places in the detroit/metro area, as well as Krogers and Meijer's.

It's like the golden age of beer in america...we keep complaining about how bad BMC is and how they are keeping us from having craft beer...But I've got more available to me than ever before.

I agree with Revvy: I have a much easier time getting amazing beers in Idaho than ever before.

I am not a fan of Bud and BL, but don't hate A/B for what they do: They brew beer for the people who like A/B beer.

my $0.02...

We have to hate PBR because hipsters drink it.

We have to hate BMC, because it is monopolizing the industry

We have to hate anything in a Green or Clear bottle, because it is skunked.

I break two craft beer rules all the time.

1. Drinking a beer by BMC
2. Drinking a light beer (this one seems to be grey latley though?)

I drink Busch light in a tall boy, or six pack of talls. I like the taste, I think its cool they use natural carbonation in their process and for some reason no matter how many I drink I never get a headache the next day. Its my go to.

http://beerandwhiskeybros.com/2011/03/30/was-brewmasters-killed-by-big-beer/

This is one of the big reasons i dont drink BMC. They are trying to crush the Craft brew scene. They are the reason that "Brewmasters" was pulled off the air.

No it's not go read the other 3 threads where you guys post this up....it's an unsubstatiated rumor based on some tweets by one of the most meanspirited and opinionated food tv folks....it's not news.

There's nothing but tweets reffering to other tweets and one blog that was based on Bourdain's initial tweet.

I don't get if you know that Tweets are not news.....

Until we see an actually story wrtitten in complete sentences all anyone is doing is perpetuating a meme....spreading rumors based on the thinnest of unsubstantiated information.

Any actual search to see if there's really NEWs about reffers back to the blog and the twits....that's hardly enough to make such a big deal out of. Bourdain was probably just spouting off an OPINION, like he's known to do...WITH NO BASIS IN FACT....

And besides does anyone not see the ludicriousness of ahb "pulling ads" from this show? Hell if I were big beer and there was this show about beer on EVEN if it were craft beer and had nothing to do with my product line, I would have wrapped my adds around every second of that show. In fact I would have grabbed all my pseudo craft and imported beer lines like Stella and Bud American Ale and whatever else I had and I would have ridden the coattails of all the eyeballs glued to the show- all the beer geeks and people who are interested in beer (who may only drink BMC- but think beer is cool to watch on tv) and made sure my products were first and foremost in the minds of the viewers whenever Sam was off screen and a break was on.....I would have been like a horsefly on the latest Derby Winner, or a crab on the pube of a beauty queen....Just hanging on and enjoying the ride, and getting all the extra eyes on me.

In fact I still maintain that they did that, and we saw beer commercials for BMC while the show was airing, and folks commented about it on here.

You know, the idea of "pulling ads" has very little weight these days...It's not like the days of 3 networks and proctor and gamble practically shooting the shows themselves (like "Soap Operas" being put on by the P&G.) You think if someone pulls their adds, there's not going to be 100 other companies jumping on for the empty ad times? Especially if the ad broker is desperate and decides to discount the block to fill it. Think about the suprebowl, are their any ad blockes ever empty? Even if the NFL pulls a "questionable" ad? There's always going to be another company, some lowly dotcom that at the last minute will scrape together a few bucks to put one of their adds in a slot as a gamble. Someone decides these days to withhold sponsorship the ad guys for the channel shrug their shoulder's and pull out their blackberries and call the next tier advertisers, and say "have I got a deal for you?"

And some of you guys are like a bunch of old ladies with your knickers in a twist because you just want another reason to hate "big beer." Which more than likely had nothing to do with it.

You know who the culprit really is? It's the Discovery channel. They did the "kiss of death" on that show by juggling timeslots. When they do that, AND use ratings to judge a show, you know the show is not important to them, and not going to be back. Or when they air 2-3 new episodes, then put it on hiatus or show repeats for a couple weeks, then sticks the new episodes in, ABC did that Detroit 187 this year, which means it probably won't get picked up for a second season.

When a channel does that, that's the true thing to blame. Not some outside forces. Discovery wasn't committed enough to the show to keep it in a slot even for those 6 weeks.

And it has NEVER been determined, was whether or not this show was EVER going to go beyond the 6 episodes that were commissioned. That's why I argued back then, that you can't say something was cancelled when the contract was completed. 6 episodes was the initial run, and had there not been delays the 6th episode would probably have run, and will possibly STILL run. But that would complete the contract.

Not getting renewed is not the same as getting cancelled. And in the world of TV not getting picked up again happens all the time. That's television, not a conspiracy by big beer.

It's no wonder the interwebz can cause revolutions in five countries...

So random dude writes an unsubstantiated blog titled "WAS Brewmasters killed by big beer?", and it's turned into Budweiser killing the pope. :rolleyes:

The problem I have with buying BMC craft beers is that they dominate the distribution channels and also tie up all the space on store shelves that should otherwise be shared equally with other brewers. I mean when 90% the shelving in the beer section is BMC and only a bit is left over for regional craft beers I feel like I am missing out on some variety.

All these anti-BMC threads today are making me want to get a sixer of Bud on the way home. I haven't had a Bud in awhile and I have no problem saying I like it.

It's a good fishing beer, as I reminded myself last Sunday. I think I might feel awkward sipping craft beer in a canoe.

I dislike BMC. I'll state that openly and proudly. HOWEVER, on the Beer Wars cancellation, Revvy is spot on. It makes far too much business sense to piggyback off what little success the show did generate. Plus, that show provided to advertisers something that few can: an extremely targeted demographic that is constantly in the market for your product.

The truth is, there just isn't much of a devoted audience who would follow Sam's
"adventures" regularly. Most of us love it because we know about the beer process. Seeing a close-up tour of an exotic brewing process gets us going. But for most, it's no different than any other manufacturing process.

I know big beer manipulates, threatens, bribes, and lies, but they're not stupid. This move wouldn't be smart.

I cant drink Budweiser or Bud light. Both of them give me a headache everytime I drink them while I am drinking them.

After reading this thread I am thinking it could be a conspriacy of some mind controlling substance in their beer that is trying to take over but my subconsious is fighting it.

That would totally make sense and solve this age old problem ive had for years. Thanks HBT!

I cant drink Budweiser or Bud light. Both of them give me a headache everytime I drink them while I am drinking them.

After reading this thread I am thinking it could be a conspriacy of some mind controlling substance in their beer that is trying to take over but my subconsious is fighting it.

That would totally make sense and solve this age old problem ive had for years. Thanks HBT!

I would support your conspiracy! Where do i sign up! :cross:

I drink a lot of different beers. If a large corporation makes a beer that I like, I'll buy it. However, if both a local craft brewery and a large corporation make a similar beer that I like, I'd go for the craft brewery every time. I hate going to the grocery store and knowing that there are 5 beers on the three 30 foot shelves that are not made by AB Inbev or MillerCoors, so I avoid them when I can. I figure with the amount of beer I buy the stores will notice that the shelves are always empty and maybe give those beers a bit more shelf space.;)

I would support your conspiracy! Where do i sign up! :cross:

Yes, your ideas are intriguing to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

While I do not hate the standard BMC beers, I choose not to drink them unless there is nothing else. This is not because I think that they try to control to much of the market, but rather because I find them to lack flavor. The mass market beers always tasted like lightly flavored soda water to me and when I do have them, I drink them a lot faster than the craft beers.

If the BMCs could make a craft style beer that I liked, I would more than likely buy it now and then, just not all the time.

Yes, your ideas are intriguing to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

It sounds like I have two subscribers, I only need one more and maybe I can grow up to be like Mel Gibson.

Instead of the cacther and the rye book, I always need to drink a beer to feel safe/sane.

Latest posts

Back